What You Don't Learn In College

What You Don't Learn In College

15
What You Don't Learn In College
The Indus Entrepreneurs

Networking—the single most important thing your professors don’t teach you in college. Some of you wise, young folk are undoubtedly smart enough to realize just how crucial networking is to your future and spread yourselves far and wide. I, on the other hand, spent my college years in a dreamlike world where I believed that high test scores, convincing critical thinking, and strong, persuasive theses alone would secure me a high-paying (or at least reasonably-paying) occupation in my dream field.

Since graduating last May, I’ve awoken from this semi-delusional state. And it hasn’t been slow to rise, lay in bed while the gentle sunshine wakes you to the smell of coffee kind of awakening. No. It was an earth-shattering scream that sent me gasping into reality—sweaty, shaky, and confused. Why didn’t anyone warn me? Advise me to get out of my comfort zone and meet people in my field? Meet people in other fields, industries, and professions.

Well, I guess they had, but I didn’t want to believe that my countless all-nighters and 20+ page research papers could mean nothing without the right connections. Often I heard people spew out lines about how finding a job is really all about who you know, but I always thought that was just a cliche thing to say. I didn’t realize the weight of that advice. Four months out of college, and I was finally beginning to understand the importance of networking.

Some people think of networking as a tacky method of begging someone for a job, but that’s a distorted perception of the concept. Don’t worry—I was one of those who thought the very same way. However, I realize now that networking is really just about building solid relationships with a group of diverse people. Of course, many of us hope to further our careers through these connections, but that certainly isn’t the only reason to be linking up with people. Expanding your web of acquaintances can only benefit you as well as the people you’re meeting. From a hiring standpoint, having a connection in common with someone during a job interview can lend you a great deal of credibility—it’s basically having someone vouch for you to say that you’re smart, normal, and capable of doing the job well. The more people you know, the more job opportunities you’ll hear about. Often times companies will consider hiring people who have been personally recommended before opening the position up to the public. Being referred for a position in this way puts you in a much small pool of applicants, in addition to establishing credibility as a potential candidate, thus making you much more likely to be offered the job.

You may be wondering, well how can I start networking more? If you’re in college still, the best way to meet people is to actually attend and engage in those events that your tuition is paying for—free lectures, interviews with visiting professionals, and panel discussions are more than just easy opportunities for extra credit. Schools are able to secure successful and influential people across different fields who may be able to give you advice or even connect you with another prominent person in your area of interest.

If you’re out of college, like me, there is still an abundance of opportunities to get involved and meet people. I’ve compiled a list for post-grads (and current students) of helpful hints and networking tips that I’ve learned during my brief time in the “real world.”

ALWAYS CARRY A BUSINESS CARD

The best way to begin networking is with a business card. Even if you’re still in school, it’s a great idea to carry business cards. They don’t need to be anything fancy (most sites offer template designs), and they don’t need to say anything impressive. Simply putting your name and degree on a business card along with a web address to your LinkedIn account, any links to a portfolio or examples of work, and your email address can be invaluable when trying to foster connections. Business cards provide others with a physical reminder of who you are and what you’re interested in, and they are more inclined to remember you because of that. Plus, ordering them won’t break the bank—Vistaprint offers a box of business cards starting at $8.99.

ATTEND LOCAL EVENTS RELATED TO YOUR FIELD

If you want to break into an industry and understand how to succeed in that position, the best move you can make is to get out and meet people already working in that job. Not only will you receive important advice from professionals, you will be immersing yourself in the world you want to have a career in. Sites like Meetup or the events section on Facebook often contain an array of local events that pertain to everyone’s interests.

MAKE AN EFFORT TO MEET PROFESSIONALS

In addition to attending events where professionals in your field may be, it’s a fantastic idea to personally reach out to influential people in your community. Research and learn about the most successful people in your industry and invite them to have coffee. No need to announce that you’re looking for job prospects—just tell them you admire their accomplishments and would appreciate the chance to ask them about their path to success. It’s helpful to mention that you are a young adult with a desire to enter the same field as they likely have helpful advice to offer. Most people are receptive to an invitation like this because, as humans, we love to talk about ourselves and the chance to tell someone how we achieved our dreams flatters us and makes us feel important. Worst case scenario, someone tells you that they are too busy or doesn’t respond, but if they do accept your offer to meet, you’ve made a new connection and probably learned interesting insider information about the career you hope to enter.

TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU VALUE

Letting other people in your life know about your goals is another strong way to grow your network. As a small business owner, my mom meets new people every day and consequently she gives out my business card regularly because she knows what I want and is able to tell people whom may never meet about my interests and my skills. Speaking with your friends and family about ambitions can sometimes lead to great networking. Another example of second connection networking happened to me through my mom’s friend, Susan. Susan knows that I want to be a writer and editor, so when she mistakenly received a call from the wrong number but ended up chatting with the man about a magazine he was planning to start, she asked for his information and passed it along to me.

REACH OUT TO CURRENT CONTACTS

Similar to my last piece of advice, reaching out to people currently in your network can lead to more connections. If you were particularly close with a professor in college, it’s a smart idea to tell them what your post-grad plans are and ask if they know anyone in the related field.

TALK TO PEOPLE EVERYWHERE YOU GO

One of the reasons my mom is so skilled at networking is because she talks to people everywhere she goes—the grocery store, the hairdresser, the gas station. Anywhere she goes, she strikes up a conversation. On a human level, this social skill is an effective way to be kind and caring towards others, but on a career level, it can introduce you to interesting people that you may never have come across otherwise. There is no harm in talking to people just to make conversation because you never know when you’ll run into someone with the same interests or working in the career you’re pursuing. Should you run into someone influential, your ability to strike up conversations may also double as an impressive characteristic.

Without networking, many people struggle to find a job—or a least a career that they truly enjoy. Employing these techniques can enrich your life both personally and professionally. Communicating and connecting with others make us more empathic and understand beings. Once we’ve establishing these type of relationships, it is much easier to navigate the industry of our choice because we have more knowledge from professionals and more opportunities.