What I Wish My Parents Knew

What I Wish My Parents Knew

I just want to make you proud.

6
Family of three by the waters edge

To my parents,

You have given me everything you could and more and I want to say thank you, and I'm sorry.

Thank you for making my dreams come true and I'm sorry that I haven't always let you share in my successes with me.

As much as we've all tried to block it out, we know the truth. We know our relationship isn't what we'd dreamed it would be a long time ago and I absolutely take some responsibility for that.

I'm so sorry for all the pain I've put you through. If I could take back all the pain and the hurtful words I would in a heartbeat and I know you both would too.

We can't change the past, but I will fight for a better future for all of us.

I want you both to know how thankful I am for you.

I'm so thankful not only for all you've given me but to have such hard-working, resilient role models in my life.

You both have been through things that have made you who you are today, but neither of you has let your past define you. You took your hardship and turned it into motivation to create a better future for yourselves, and for me.

You've made me into someone who is strong.

Because of you, I am outspoken and I am brave.

You've made me into someone who is determined to make her own dreams come true.

Because of you, I am eager and I am hardworking.

You've made me into someone who doesn't take life for granted.

Because of you, I am adventurous and I am excited to wake up every day.

You've taught me to be kind and to give help whenever I can.

I am so lucky to have you as my parents.

If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be me.