What I Wish I Knew My First Semester of College

While I loved my first semester with all of my heart, there are a few things I wish I knew that would have made my experience even better.
468

As we ring in yet another new year, I am still shocked at how my first semester of college is already over. College is everything I wished it to be and more. I used to wish that school would never start but now I would do anything to be back in college already. While I loved my first semester with all of my heart, there are a few things I wish I knew that would have made my experience even better.

I wish that I knew that life changes faster than I can imagine. I used to be so afraid of change, but now I accept and look forward to them. During college, I have changed in so many ways. I have opened up to more people than I have ever before. I am also much more outgoing than I was before. I am much more confident and adventurous.

I wish I knew that I am stronger than I think.

I have faced dozens of obstacles this semester. At that time, I thought I could not overcome them. But, after each one, I emerged stronger than ever. I learned how to be independent and make decisions for myself. Most importantly, I learned how to be responsible for my own actions and future. I made choices based on what was best for me and not on what other people wanted me to do.

I wish I knew my parents are always right. Even though they have never attended an undergraduate institution in America before, they still are able to give me advice based on what they hear about. They are my shoulder to cry on and the first people I turn to when things go not as planned.

They are the ones to unconditionally support every decision I decide to make even if they are not there for them. It is hard for me for me so far away from them and only see them during breaks. In the end, however, I am always so happy and grateful to be able to attend an out of state college.

I wish I knew who my true friends were. During college, I realized who my real friends are. I recognized the importance of getting rid of toxic friendships and only being friends with people who treasure you as much as you value them. I consider myself lucky to have had such a fun high school experience. I am glad that I am still as close, if not even closer, to my friends from high school.

I love being able to share our college stories with each other and bond over similar experiences. After first semester, I am so happy that I have finally found my niche in college. My friends in college bring a smile to my face every day. My support system is better than ever and I am so thankful to have such a solid group of people that I can rely on and turn to for anything.

If I had known these four things before my first semester of college, I believe that I would have had an even more memorable time. I hope that you can learn from my mistakes and make your college experience even better.