What To Do When College Isn't Easy

What To Do When College Isn't Easy

And how to handle stress.

191
What To Do When College Isn't Easy
Taylor Abrahams

Like most incoming students, I expected the best. I'd been so bored in high school because I was looking for new adventures. All I heard was about how college is the best four years of everyone's lives, and I took that to mean that nothing could ever go wrong in college. I held such high hopes for my first semester that I didn't even think about what I would do or who I would turn to when my first semester of college wasn't so amazing. Since I didn't have someone to turn to, I'm sharing my advice for others for those who find themselves getting in a difficult situation.

An obvious challenge is the actual school part of school. I found myself stuck in classes that I had no interest in that also had nothing to do with my major, but were mandatory to take. The odds are that you're going to be in at least a couple classes that strike you the same way. It's natural to want to avoid these classes at all costs, but if you do that, they will stress you out and overwhelm you even more. If you're in a class that doesn't come easy to you or spark your interest in any way, the best thing you can do is work just as hard as you would in another class. If anything, work even harder and apply yourself more. Don't hesitate to email your professor if you don't understand something, because they want to see you get good grades in their class.

I also found that I didn't click with as many people as I thought I would right off the bat. While I let that stress me out at first, I've since realized that no matter where you are in life, there are going to be people you just don't get along with. If you aren't immediately best friends with your roommate or that really cute boy you sit next to in class, don't let that discourage you from seeking out other people. It's college; lots of people are new and looking to make friends. I've hardly met anyone on campus who has said to me, "Nah, I'm not really interested in making new friends." Everyone is looking to make connections, so take advantage of that.

It's also important to stay in touch with your advisor, because if you're struggling with pretty much anything in college, they are there to help you and they want you to succeed.

The reality is, college is occasionally going to suck no matter where you are. That doesn't mean your overall experience is going to be a bad one, but if you find yourself in a rough situation, don't let it deter you. Remember why you came to your school, why you want to study what you're studying, and why you chose the friends you did.