Vacations Open Our Eyes

Vacations Open Our Eyes

A new perspective can help us make positive change in our lives.

9
Vacations Open Our Eyes
Microsoft Stock Photo

When we start to become overwhelmed by our day to day lives, it helps to take a quick pause and step back for awhile. That is why among other reasons, vacations are so popular. Now, besides just taking off work and relaxing, vacations can teach us a lot about the way we are living our lives and what is really important.

For example, when your vacation is coming to a close, what do you think about? Do you dread returning to your job? Do you miss a loved one? Taking a step back helps your brain process the things you dislike about your life and give thanks for the things that improve your existence. Miss your significant other? Chances are they are more important than you realize. Take the chance to come back and tell them how much they mean to you.

If your mind is the most occupied by something you dislike, maybe it's time to consider if it still has a place in your life. Does the thought of returning to work make your stomach churn? If so, maybe it's time to move onto greener pastures. Stepping back or a change in scenery can open our eyes to new perspectives and ideas. It can sometimes put priorities in place. Although vacations are few and far between (most of us only get one week off a year), it is possible to achieve the mental state of vacation without buying a plane ticket to Florida. If you take the time to consider your life, chances are you will be able to pinpoint something that makes you unhappy and start taking steps to change it. When you slow down in your daily life, you will also be able to cherish the things that make you happy. Hold onto these throughout your life and the unhappy moments will be easy to shed.

All in all, vacations can help us enjoy the journey, not the destination. Nobody wants their vacation to go by quickly, so they savor every moment. Daily life is of course, not as interesting as vacation, however; the sooner we begin to savor each moment of every day, the easier it becomes to live. Are vacations the key to happiness? I wouldn't say so.. but the lessons they teach us are.