What We Can Learn From Watching Movies

What We Can Learn From Watching Movies

How can Hollywood eliminate prejudice and racism in America?

1061
What We Can Learn From Watching Movies
IMDb

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a motion picture is worth a million. Movie characters, settings, and storylines analyze the multifaceted nature of human conflict. People visit theaters to escape real life but forget that movies provide insights into their own lives. Although films are a medium of entertainment, they question the way people look at life by publicizing minority opinions and spreading compassion among a greater audience.

Films possess the unique ability to tell the untold stories of marginalized people in society. As I watch Fruitvale Station (2013) for my American Studies class, I praise director Ryan Coogler for portraying a more complete picture of incarcerated men. Fruitvale Station narrates the last few days of Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old black man who was shot and killed by BART Police Officer Johannes Mehserle on New Year's Day back in 2009.

Coverage of black men as burglars, drug dealers, and criminals appear too frequently on the news. However, in the scene by the ocean where Oscar is meeting Marcus to sell him marijuana, he decides at last minute not to go through with his plan. He decides he wants a better future for his family and dumps his stash into the ocean. Oscar chooses to make a living through legal means despite being in desperate circumstances.

This cycle of drug addiction leading to incarceration and broken families is the world that plagues certain communities. Thus, Oscar’s subtle defiance is a direct opposition to the institution that encourages these issues. He rejects the idea of returning to jail, for some prisons themselves capitalize from their depleted prisoners. This scene proves that although men like Oscar are not perfect, their stories are more complex than what appears in headlines. Although this is a less common choice people in his situation choose, it is very much a realistic option that the media fails to include.

In addition, movies instill compassion and action among their viewers. Films and documentaries often publicize real footage of crimes and atrocities that are caught on tape. During the first two minutes of Fruitvale Station, footage of Oscar’s actual shooting is displayed on-screen. This allows the audience to witness the magnitude of the brutality that is inflicted upon black people. Yet despite beginning the film with a scene of death, the rest of the film has an uplifting tone. Coogler spends the next hour and twenty-three minutes occupying screen time with his mother’s unconditional love, daughter’s wide-eyed curiosity, and everything else that makes Oscar’s life worth dying for.

Furthermore, movies bring into question pre-established societal norms in a sophisticated manner. This is evident in the scene where Oscar meets Peter while waiting outside the convenience store. Both men share a commonality and become friends while they search for a restroom for their wives. However, the surprising revelation occurs when Peter explains to Oscar that he had stolen a ring to propose to his wife. This is a subtle flip in racial stereotypes since it is "the white man who has committed a felony."

Regardless of the genre, every film either directly or indirectly, explicitly or inexplicitly makes social commentary about the subject matter. Coogler does not hide the fact that Oscar is troublesome, but allows the audience to see a more humanized side of him. Modern films help critique and revise past cinema that may have been partially explained or racist. If more stories about black redemption are produced, then hopefully the media's stereotype of black people will improve.

Ultimately, films create a lasting impact that extends far beyond the movie screen. They have the power to dictate what is being conveyed to the public and reflect the struggles of a community. There are many ways to document black lives, but cinema is the best way to educate a mass audience and evoke empathy. Fruitvale Station hits home not only because Coogler is a fellow USC Trojan, but because Oscar's shooting occurred in the Bay Area, the place I grew up.

Films provide a platform to discuss change, but the audience is the one to bring about the change. Simply watching a movie is not enough to make an impact on society, viewers must carry out the film’s message in their daily lives and encounters.