What Sorority Girls Want The Rest Of Their Campus To Know

Not All Girls Join A Sorority To Call Themselves Sorority Girls, And 11 Other THings We Want You To Know

We may be in a sorority but we are still college students.

115
Sorority triangle
Ashley Duke

Some students walk around their campus and view Greek life as some weird foreign group while others see it as an elite and judgmental group of students. Truth is, neither one of those is true and we just want people to understand that sorority girls are like everyone else. If we could tell our fellow students more about us and our organizations, this is what we would say.

1. A sorority is a sisterhood

We grow and experience a lot with one another, anything else included is just extra benefits.

2. Not all girls join a sorority just to call themselves sorority girls.

Some of us join our organizations for the opportunities they provide and the friendships we gain.

3. It's about being a part of a family

Let's face it we all need a home away from home, we just happened to find a very female centered one.

4. The perfect sorority girl doesn't exist

We are all different and not a single one of us is perfect. We came to college to learn more about ourselves and take the first steps in building our lives just like everyone else.

5. We are not a cult

While we may have some traditions that are weird to some, we are just a campus organization doing what we do best.

6. We know we have a ton of letters

Almost all of our closets are overflowing with letters and we probably wear the same pair all the time but each and every pair means something to us.

7. The sorority squat saves lives

If we didn't have the sorority squat we wouldn't be able to take pictures of our entire chapter together and that would be a tragedy.

8. "Throw what ya know" doesn't make us a gang

No illegal activity here, just a large group of girls casually throwing up hand signals.

9. We snap because we care

We know we look odd when we snap instead of clap but it's kind of our thing.

10. Formal recruitment is not scary

It's actually a really fun experience and you learn a lot about your future organization as well as others that you will be interacting with.

11. We don't just party

We participate in community service, academic success workshops, and on-campus events among other things. With all of that and classes, partying is the last thing on our minds.

12. It's not just a set of letters

These letters give us a sense of familiarity and family. They allow us to be a part of something bigger than ourselves.

Sororities and Greek life as a whole have a place on all college campuses but we aren't different from the average college student. We are just like everyone else and we want everyone to know that.