What to do Between Christmas and New Years

Just a Few Acts of Kindness to Fill That Interim

93
google images

Christmas is awesome, right? Right. The weeks leading up to the 25th are full of caroling, Christmas movies, and a general air of kindness everyone tries to engender in order to boost Christmas spirit. However, I feel like after Christmas, the 26th, everyone goes into this weird limbo state between it and the start of the new year, because you can't exactly continue on with Christmas shenanigans anymore, but also you don't have to worry about enacting your resolutions for another week. So, what are you to do? Well, let me tell you! Seeing as we've spent the last month, hopefully, focusing on being kinder toward others, being more giving, more joyful - I issue the challenge to continue that by engaging in some acts of kindness. As college students, it isn't like we have exorbitant amounts of money to expend on acts of kindness, but being good to others doesn't always have to include spending money. It can start with the circle of people you regularly interact with: go out of your way to be kind to others, and maybe intentionally invest your time in someone you don't see or speak with often. I know a lot of us are back home for the holidays - maybe do that thing your parent always complains about doing in order to give them some reprieve, or write a note or letter to someone you love that is encouraging and uplifting for the new year (I know it sounds lame, but a letter shows effort, and is a really nice thing to receive, trust me!). If you want to do something cheap but also really nice, bring flowers to the nurses at a hospital in your city. They work so hard, and they especially deserve some kindness for working the hectic holiday season. Or just ask your barista how their day is going and genuinely listen to their response, or leave them a nice tip! My personal favorite is to go to a retirement community and bring cards to the residents and spend time speaking with them - I've found most of the time the people are exceedingly touched, and just really want some good conversation, and they're really sweet! Christmas kindness doesn't have to end with the 25th, and resolving to show more kindness to others doesn't have to wait until the ball drops. I hope you'll try out one or two of these suggestions, or maybe do a few of your own! I'm of the opinion that that awkward interim from the 25th to the 1st is the perfect time to transition from the spirit of giving which defines Christmas, and the spirit of personal betterment which comes along with the new year, by way of being good to others.

Merry Christmas, and a happy new year to you all.

Keep it kind, guys.

Alli