What It Really Means To Take Care Of Yourself

Show yourself some more love. You deserve it.

4987
Cover Image Credit: Daniel Spase on Pexels

Deadlines. Projects. Obligations. Stress. It's everywhere.

It's so easy to get so caught up in the world around you. However, it's important to remember that in the midst of all this, there is only one YOU, and there will be only be one YOU in the future, meaning it's up to YOU to take care of yourself.

Taking care of yourself means to fuel yourself properly. It means to be aware that you need to feed yourself the proper nutrients, the necessary calories, and sometimes even the veggies you might dislike. Taking care of yourself means to moderate, to not deprive yourself of food for that sought-after body... nor to order pizza three nights a week. It means to go for that extra doughnut when you crave it but to eat clean otherwise.

Taking care of yourself means to be regularly active. It means to get your heart rate up and pumping and to sweat it out a few times each week. It means to disregard weird societal obsessions and instead, just focus on being in the best shape you can be in. There are so many different ways to be active, and you are bound to find something that you like.

Taking care of yourself means to let yourself get some rest. You might have a huge math test tomorrow, but without some sleep, your body won't be thanking you. It means to be okay with a Friday night in after a long week, even if that means Netflixing alone.

Taking care of yourself means to believe in yourself. It means to push yourself when you least feel like it and to know that you are bound to do great things. It means to have courage and become comfortable with the uncomfortable when necessary. It means to cut yourself some slack every now and then and accept the fact that you might not be doing your best now, but you can and you will in the future.

Taking care of yourself means to allow yourself to be expressive and extravagant and exposed with your emotions. It means to stand up for yourself. Whether it's to that boy who broke your heart or to that group that didn't treat you properly, it means to know that you deserve to be heard - that you have a voice, no matter how small.

Taking care of yourself means to muster up the courage to let go when it is time to. It means to let bygones be bygones and have faith in your future.

Most importantly, taking care of yourself means to love yourself for who you are. It means to smile at yourself in the mirror, even when it's two in the morning. It's okay to want to change something about yourself, but it's extremely important to realize that you need to love yourself throughout the process.

It's okay if you're not there yet. I'm not either. I have my off days too. There are times when I feel like closing myself off from the world and eat nothing but Thin Mints and Bagel Bites. There are times when I second and triple and quadruple guess whether or not I should go on that morning run.

But, we're all in this together. There are infinite opportunities to bounce back, but it all depends on you. So go ahead and show yourself a little love.

You deserve it.