What Being Part Of The Phi Sigma Sigma Sisterhood Means To Me

One little word that has changed my life...

72
Mikayla Houser

About a week ago, I was finally initiated into an amazing group of women that have all changed me for the better. The only word that even can begin to describe these ladies and what they are to me is sisterhood. We are a dynamic sisterhood that believes not only in each other but a common group of values that guides everything we do. Sisterhood has grown to mean so much to me, and I'm so thankful for the ways my life has already changed.

1. You will never eat alone again, but you will also eat often.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have eaten a meal alone since joining this sisterhood, and thats such a small thing to some people, but to me it means a lot. I never have to stress about eating alone and looking lame, and I always know there's a group of sisters waiting to talk about everything that has happened so far in my day. Sisterhood also means that you eat a lot though, snacks are basically a staple within our sorority. You can always find at least one sister with food handy, so be prepared for your snacking to increase significantly.

2.Your confidence on social media will never be higher.

Every single thing you post is almost guaranteed to get liked by a few sisters. That's not even to mention if you post a selfie or a pic of you throwing, because girl, your phone will blow up. Any time there is a sisterhood event and you put up photos after, expect at least 50 notifications at any given time because everyone gets super hype about all of them. Snap streaks are something to strive for and protect, and most of your best friends will be fellow sisters.

3. Sisterhood means you can do anything you put your mind to.

No goal is too big, and nothing is unachievable with your sisters by your side. From a good luck text right before an exam, to reminding you of how amazing you are at whatever you're trying to do, sisters will always be there to pick you back up. It means that they will try to be at every event you're in, and talk about it with you even if they have no idea what you're talking about. I've had sisters who talk to me about marching band and debate team until I'm sure they must be sick of it, just because they know how much I love it, and what it means to me.

4. Sisterhood means family

I am now in a group of 40 women who would do absolutely anything for each other, and we've become such a strong, close knit family it's insane. Family is such an important thing to me, being five hours away from home, and these girls have accepted me as one of their own, giving me a huge new family because of it. Through this sisterhood, I've gained my own personal family as well. My big is absolutely perfect in every way I can imagine, and I know lots of littles will say that, but for me it's true. I see so many traits of hers that I hope to gain someday, and I know she will do amazing things. My big is an absolute blessing, the first person I think to text when I'm stressed, when I'm happy, or when I just need to be encouraged to talk to the really cute guy I know. My family line is a hot mess in the best way possible. Rho Raptors are the best fam, the support and love I get from all of them is something I never even knew I needed until I had it.

5. Sisterhood means Phi Sigma Sigma

My family, my friends, my sisters. The women of the Gamma Gamma chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma embody sisterhood every minute of the day. These ladies have taught me how to be the best version of myself, and to always aim high. As high as I possibly can without fear of falling because I know with all of my heart that they will always be there to catch me should I fall. Phi Sig means living our virtues every day, and facing every day knowing that we mean so much more to each other than we could ever know. Sisterhood is studying for exams together, getting ready together, panicking because do we really need to know all ten founders and movie nights where we just end up gossiping and laughing until we can't breathe. It means loving the spinx and pyramids because our symbols are perfect, with a meaning beyond what anyone else knowns. It means loving yourself, because your sisters love you ten times as much, and it will last forever. Once always means the world to you and is a constant affirmation of reassurance in the bond we share.

Sisterhood means so many things, and being a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma is a decision I will never regret. Our letters that we wear with pride don't make us better than anyone else, just better than we used to be. Phi Sig will always have a piece of my heart, for as long as I live. Once a Phi Sigma Sigma, Always a Phi Sigma Sigma.