What Nobody Told Me Before Study Abroad

What Nobody Told Me Before Study Abroad

"Travel is the only thing you can spend money on that makes you richer"

18
What Nobody Told Me Before Study Abroad
Eliza Simons

All I heard about before going abroad was how it was going to be the most amazing experience of my life and how everyone that went abroad wished they could go back. Looking through photos and talking to older people made me want to have that experience myself, as I had never really traveled in the past. I decided to study abroad in Dublin for the semester and although I wanted to look forward to studying abroad in the most positive light possible, I couldn't help but wonder what the less glamorous side of studying abroad would be. Now that I am in the middle of my semester abroad I have come to realize there are definitely some challenges, but they are part of what is shaping up to be one of the most amazing experiences.

1. You might have trouble managing your money because of the change in currency.

Wherever you choose to go abroad you know right away you're going to have to train yourself to stop saying dollars and instead refer to some other type of currency. In some places, dollars are worth a lot more, and others less. So, when you order the most expensive item on the menu and think you're getting a lot of bang for your buck, it's hard to remember that you're spending more than you think. On the other hand, it's pretty great when you think you're spending a ton of money and realize it's a lot less converted back.

2. Public transportation will become your best friend.

Unless the university you're studying at is located directly in the city, you are going to have to learn how to use public transportation very efficiently in order to do some exploring. In Dublin, the university I am studying at is located about 20 minutes from the city center, which I was surprised to find upon my arrival. However, taking the bus into the city almost every day has unexpectedly afforded me opportunities that I would not have otherwise had. Not only have I been able to truly immerse myself in the culture of the city, I have met some very interesting and awesome people.

3. You will spend a lot more time planning trips than you anticipated.

Before going abroad the only aspect of traveling you give any consideration to is the different places you want to travel to on the weekends and what you want to see once you get there. When time comes to actually figure out the details of your travels, you begin to see how much time and effort is needed to properly plan a trip. Booking flights, finding accommodations, and gathering various city guides is really time-consuming. Being on a student budget I found it researching the most cost effective flights and accommodations to be more difficult than I thought it would be. On top of that, researching the right places to eat and sights to see proved to be a tedious task, but all worth it when it was over.

4. Don’t forget to explore the city AND country you're living in for the semester.

A lot of people studying abroad get wrapped up in traveling from city to city each weekend. However, it's also really important to explore the place you're living in. You obviously picked that place for a reason, so don't forget to remind yourself why. By exploring the nooks and crannies of the country you're in, you give yourself the opportunity to find some hidden gems. While being a tourist is really fun, it's also a valuable experience to surround yourself with the locals. While originally bummed that I didn't have travel plans for three straight weeks, I ended up staying in Ireland. This turned out better than expected because I was able to explore less popular sights and smaller areas in Ireland that I would have otherwise missed out on.

5. You're going to repeat outfits repeats, A LOT

Packing for abroad is an EXTREMELY stressful task. There are various things to consider like cold weather clothes, going-out clothes, traveling clothes, comfortable clothes, etc. But unfortunately, there is a fifty-pound limit unless you wanna pay A LOT of money for overweight luggage or checking an extra bag. Therefore, you must only bring the most essential items and plan on wearing them over and over again. But, if you have generous roommates, like mine, you can borrow whenever you feel the need to change it up.

6. Nobody mentions the study part in "study abroad"

Although nobody really takes school abroad as seriously as they do at home, it still exists. There are days where you have a ton of work to do or a full day of class, because you are STUDYING abroad, something I did not think about until I started having homework.

7. Some cities are more about the people than the sights

This, I feel, has been one of the most valuable lessons I've learned thus far. Although aesthetics are important, so are the general vibes that a city gives off. When asked why I chose to study abroad in Dublin, I explain that although it does not have the beautiful canals in Amsterdam, or anything similar to the Eiffel Tower in Paris, it has character. You can go to many cities and see beautiful sights, but a large amount of your experiences will be determined by the encounters you have with the people you meet.

8. Not every day abroad will change your life, but the overall experience can.

Being that you are in another country for an extended period of time, you are actually living your normal life there. That being said, not every single day is going to be what it looks like in the pictures. There are still normal responsibilities and priorities like doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, homework and just relaxing. Some days are adventurous and others you won't be doing too much. This isn't a bad thing at all but real life doesn't stop just because you are abroad. The good days are great but don't worry about trying to live up to what you think your abroad experience should be. Travel, adventure and explore as much as possible but it's also okay to relax while you're studying abroad too.