What Not To Wear To Your First Job Interview

8 Things You Should NEVER Wear To Your First Interview, From The Girl Who Landed The Job

You would be amazed at how big of a role your clothes play in your success.

583

One of the most stressful parts about preparing for a job interview is figuring out what to wear to the interview. And if you've never been interviewed for a job before, it can be even more stressful. Even if you've been interviewed for a job before, every job interview is different, especially for full-time positions versus part-time jobs. However, there are a few obvious things that you should avoid wearing if you're looking to apply for a first-time job.

1. Avoid revealing clothes at all cost

What you should wear to an interview really depends on what job you're being interviewed for and whether it's a part-time job or a full-time job. But, for any type of job interview, you'll want to avoid wearing anything that's too revealing. This includes blouses with low necklines, tight pants, or skirts that are WAY TOO SHORT. You'll want to look professional when going to a job interview and make a good first impression. Wearing revealing clothing can also prove to be a huge distraction during an interview.

2. Don't overdress (or underdress)

If you're planning on being interviewed for a part-time job, avoid overdressing for the interview. I made this mistake once when being interviewed for a part-time job at a fast-food restaurant. I wore a dress and high heels, which I didn't realize at the time made me extremely overdressed for a fast-food job. Look closely at what job you're being interviewed for and consider whether the job will likely require more casual attire or professional attire. You may also want to look closely at the company that is interviewing you to see if they're looking for specific attire from the candidate they're interviewing.

3. Don't. Wear. Flip flops. 

For any job interview, you should avoid wearing flip flops! Even for a part-time job where you can dress casually for the interview, you're still expected to look a little professional. For example, you can wear jeans to an interview for a part-time job that may require you to dress casually, but you're still going to have to avoid flip flops and tank tops. This also includes not wearing yoga pants or sweatpants. The person interviewing you won't take you seriously if you look like you put no effort into what you wear to the interview.

4. Avoid heavy jewelry and distracting accessories 

Avoid wearing any distracting clothing items and accessories. This includes wearing bright clothing or heavy pieces of jewelry. According to Monster, there was one hiring manager who mentioned a case where one person that they were interviewing had worn heavy jewelry. The sound of the jewelry pieces hitting against each other caused the hiring manager to become so distracted that they couldn't focus on what the candidate was saying. Before choosing any type of clothing or accessory, ask yourself whether it will cause any possible distraction during the job interview so that you can avoid making the same mistake.

5. You might want to take out distracting piercings for the day

You might be wondering whether body jewelry such as nose or lip piercings can cause distractions during a job interview. It really depends on the person who's interviewing you, but it's hard to tell who accepts body piercings and who doesn't (as backwards as that might sound). Honestly, it's probably best to avoid wearing body jewelry at least until after you get the job. Body piercings can be distracting to the person who's interviewing you. And there are some hiring managers that might form a quick judgment of a candidate with a body piercing (even if it's wrong), especially if you're being hired for a full-time job.

6. If possible, cover your tattoos

It's best to try and keep tattoos covered during the interview to make sure that the person hiring you won't form a quick judgement as soon as they see your tattoo. At some companies, the work policy may require employees to cover tattoos during work. So if you can, try to cover yours until you get hired and learn what the rules are for the work attire policy.

7. Don't show up with heavy makeup

If you're planning on wearing makeup to a job interview, don't overdo it. You'll want to wear makeup that looks natural. According to The Balance, you should avoid eye makeup that is dark or flashy, heavy foundation, or extremely bright lipstick. If you're being interviewed for a part-time job, department stores will especially look at what type of makeup you're wearing and whether it appears natural or not.

8. Don't go crazy with the perfume

One other huge distraction during a job interview is wearing any type of fragrance or perfume. If you're the type of person that enjoys fragrances, please don't go crazy with wearing it to a job interview! For one thing, it's not only distracting if you wear too much of it, but the person interviewing you may also have sensitive allergies. There are also some people that hate when someone wears any type of perfume or fragrance. So, either skip the fragrance or at least use a small amount of it until you're finished with the job interview.

Before a job interview, make sure to consider all the wardrobe items that could work against you (not for you) during the interview. You would be amazed at how big of a role wearing the right attire can have on having a successful interview! I would recommend doing some research on the place or company that's interviewing you if you really want to wear the right attire. There might be former employees online or information that will give you an idea of how you should dress for the interview. It really helps to do some research and it can show the hiring manager that you came prepared for the interview!