What My Busy Schedule Says About Me

What My Busy Schedule Says About Me

I'm more than a packed schedule.

13
What My Busy Schedule Says About Me
Ingo Joseph

To say I'm a busy person is a horrific understatement.

You may have heard myths about college kids like me... I heard them when I first started college as a doughy-eyed freshman. They're the college kid who has three jobs, is a student leader in extra-curricular clubs, volunteers with different organizations, eats healthy (and regularly), and somehow maintains a spectacular GPA. They're the college kids that the media portrays as normal. They're the college kids who care so much for others that they often have little time for themselves.

And, slowly but surely, I have turned into one of them.

I have three jobs- two on campus and one in the community. I volunteer in the community through field placement and academic service learning opportunities attached to classes in my Education major. I eat regularly and try my best to make healthy choices, and I work my tail off to earn what I consider an above-average GPA. I also rely on my Outlook calendar to tell me where I need to be and when, and I often find myself exhausted by 3 in the afternoon because my hectic schedule of back-to-back commitments has me running from one thing to the other with hardly any time to breathe.

I could probably stand to be less busy. In fact, some would argue I would be healthier if I didn't try to fit and cram so many things into my life.

But here's what my busy schedule says about me: It says that I am compassionate and that I harbor love and excitement and servant-leadership for helping others engage in their passions. It says I'm dedicated, and that I put in- and make- time for things I consider to be of high importance. It says that I want to make the most out of every opportunity that comes my way so I can not only better myself, but in turn better the organizations and communities I'm working with.

Yes, I'm busy- but I'm never too busy to care for a friend in need, for a family member who's struggling, for someone who needs me and my energy and passion that only I can provide.

I'm learning to give myself free time, and that I deserve the rest and forgiveness I so naturally extend to others. I enjoy being busy, however, and I strive to always have the energy and passion to continue helping others harbor and extend their energy and excitement as well.