Who And What Matters To You When Arguing Solidarity
Politics

When will we stand in true solidarity?

267
Unsplash

I will begin this article with a disclaimer that I’m not a politician, meaning that I’m not politically correct (and do not strive to be for the sake of this article). In fact, although my interest in politics is just beginning to bud, my need to see change and empathy within the hearts of others has always remained consistent. So with that being said, I am writing this article from a place of concern and empathy and my only intention is to encourage each of us (including myself) to challenge whose safety matters to us when considering gun control?

I must say that I’ve been deeply disturbed by the recent school shootings and many threats that have followed. I still cannot wrap my mind around how such tragedies occur and reform isn’t immediate. I mean, school shootings aren’t a novelty at this point and it disturbs me that I live in a time in which I can confidently say “as a country we’ve experienced far too many.”

Now naturally as a young black woman, while watching news footage such as the Florida town hall that was aired on CNN, I naturally began to consider other movements and personnel of these movements that have called for stricter gun laws. I thought of the many men and women that have marched, organized panels and raided city council to also voice their pain and frustrations due to their personal experiences of gun violence. And sadly I was forced to acknowledge that these men and women are rarely heard beyond the confinements of their district’s lines because more often than not their losses are not nationally publicized.

Now, I’m not saying that I believe that each death should make breaking news during primetime because unfortunately there are far too many to report on a large scale. But what I am saying is that the ideology that suggests that comparing school shootings and gun violence within communities as apples and oranges is EXTREMELY destructive and one of the many issues we face when discussing “gun control.” The hard truth is that when we place a higher value on one and not the other we’re suggesting that one life had more of an impact than the other, and I can’t imagine attempting to explain such a heinous thought to the family that mourns their loss. Death is death and death by gun violence is an issue that is worth attention, no matter the scenario.

What combines these two, in my opinion, is the devastation that lingers for those who survive the bullet. For those who are attached, the devastation is vast and grand. In many cases, it’s unfathomable to even consider the aftermath, which is why I question why more publicized conversations regarding gun violence isn’t happening? I question how people of all walks can unite to vocalize their disdain for school shootings but are remissive when it’s what some identify as “black on black crime” or perhaps an incident that involves gun violence that occurs in a poverty-stricken neighborhood.

I even question how is it as a country that puts great emphasis on media (rather you’re producing or consuming content) why aren’t we discussing as many tragedies as we can. Why aren’t we approaching each headline with an angle that questions “where’s the reform?” “where’s stricter gun laws?” on a regular basis, instead of suggesting blame through racial undertones? Why aren’t we as angry on a national level for the hurt and pain that has and continues to raid our communities.