What I Learned Working Customer Service

What I Learned Working Customer Service

There's more to this job than just dealing with cranky people.

199
What I Learned Working Customer Service
Google

Working customer service is probably one of the hardest jobs. It requires patience and kindness and understanding and so much more. You have the company name resting on your shoulders as try to help their guests to the best of your ability. Despite their frustration or what seem like silly questions, you must respond with ease and grace. Let the mean comments roll off your back. Although customer service is hard stuff, working in that department has challenged me in many ways and has also taught me a lot about life. It has also taught me how I want to be treated and more importantly how to treat others.

1. You can't take everything so personally.

Customers just need to let off their steam and since you are the one they have to come to for help, all that steam gets released full force on you. But you can't take it personally because it's not you they are really mad at; It's their situation. This has taught me to relax more in life and not freak out when people don't treat me right. I don't need to get unnecessarily worked up or offended at every little thing people have to say.

2. Everyone is coming from a different perspective.

I'm learning more and more that everyone sees situations differently, come from different situations, and all have different connotations with different things. It's important to think where a person is coming from (when dealing with customer service or just with people in general life) and how they might be thinking during a situation. I could be dealing with a horrible customer who is mean and disrespectful and, not to make an excuse for that customer, but what if there are external circumstances that are influencing such behavior. There is always more than what meets the eye and probably reasons behind people's actions.

3. You need to simply be kind.

Since working for customer service, I'm much more aware at how I need to act as the customer (and just in life when dealing with people). We all just need to be kind to one another. Treat one another with respect and don't act like anyone is below you. See whoever you are dealing with as an equal and treat them as such as well.

4. Patience is a vital trait to strive for.

Patience is key when working for customer service, but it's also reminded me that in life as well as being kind to others, they deserve patience as well. Don't be so quick to judge and watch the harshness of words. Be aware of how you sound to others and give second chances.

5. Remember who you are representing.

When working for customer service (or for any job really) you are representing your company. But you are also representing what morals you stand for. It's reminded me that in life my actions will always reflect what I stand for and who I believe in. My actions and my words directly reflect my God and Savior for He is the one who created me and the one I claim to serve with my life.

I firmly believe every job, every experience, every person you come into contact with can teach you a lesson. You only need to look for it and be willing. Working customer service is tough but it has truly taught me how to serve, love, and view people through God's eyes. And that has been a valuable lesson.