What I Learned In My First Semester Of College

We all have unique experiences, yet, as a new freshman, there are a few things that we all go through during this time of adjustment.

477
University of Wisconsin-Madison Microbiology Doctoral Training Program

As a freshman, I have recently finished my first semester of college. My first semester of college was unlike anything I have ever experience before, and I learned a lot along the way! Keep reading to hear about eleven things that I learned from being at UW Madison.

Waking up for class is just as hard as it was in high school—even with a different wake up time. Sleeping until 6:30 a.m. felt early during high school. Even though I can avoid classes until 10 a.m., 9:30 a.m. feels early in college. With my busy schedule and how late I tend to stay up, I adjusted to a later wake up that feels like an early wake up.

Cafeteria food beomes very repetitive. I love Gordons so much; I have said it time and time again. However, after four months of salads, quesadillas, and sandwiches over and over again, I am in desperate need of something new.

Large lectures are the best. I understand that nothing compares to the feeling of your professor actually knowing your name and caring about you, but I love the anonymity of a large lecture. College is tiring, I am a busy person and I do not always want to have to constantly participate in class. I love being able to sit back, soak in the material and not be in fear of randomly being called on.

Independence is the best feeling in the world. After 18 years under the care of my parents, I had no idea what to expect in being on my own. However, I absolutely love having the ability to decide how I spend my free time, choosing what I want to be involved in and everything in between.

You will appreciate your hometown more than ever. Obviously, I love Madison and everything about college. I love being in a new place and meeting so many new people. However, I find myself missing my hometown more than I thought I would. You take the little things that you have to do and see everyday for granted. Now that you do not have access to them constantly, you realize how much you love and miss your hometown.

Balance is key. It is easy to struggle with balancing schoolwork, your social life and sleep. Somewhere along the way, it is easy to feel like you have to sacrifice one of the three to handle your schedule. It is also easy to get caught up in the party scene in college. It is key to put academics as your top priority, yet still remember to relax and have fun every once in a while. You have to always make sure to get enough sleep to satisfy your needs!

Climbing Bascom Hill is literally the worst. Enough said.

You will question your major/career/future A LOT. I envy those who are 100 percent certain of what they want to do with their lives. However, I am not so lucky. Yet, if I am going to question my future, this is the best place to do so. With all of the opportunities at Madison, I have the opportunity to be successful in whichever field I choose. Business? Journalism? I am not sure yet; luckily, I still have a few more semesters to decide.

You will truly be able to be yourself. Especially at such a big school, there is no pressure to “fit in” with any certain crowd or group. It could be easy to feel like you are insignificant in such a large community of people, but I see it as an opportunity to stand out. A chance to truly and completely be yourself. Wear what you want, get involved in whatever you are passionate about and hang out with whoever makes you happy.

School is hard. It is easy to have the mentality that the most difficult part of college is getting accepted. Although, my classes this semester were some of the most challenging classes that I have ever taken—for obvious reasons. I learned a lot about my work ethic and how to make improvements along the way. College is different from high school, and you have to be willing to make changes in your study regime.

You will meet some of your best friends. I am only four months into my college career and have already met people that I can imagine being in my life for the rest of it. I have met some of the smartest, most creative, fun and thoughtful people that I have encountered thus far in my life. I miss my friends from home every day, yet the amazing people I've met have made Madison feel like my home away from home.