11 Sorority Women Share What Greek Life Sisterhood Is All About

I Asked 11 Sorority Women For Their Experiences, And Their Answers Prove Sisterhood Is Forever And For Everyone

Nothing like you expected, but everything you were looking for.

1752
Three sorority girls smiling

Around this time in the summer, sorority women everywhere are busy picking out outfits, practicing their conversational skills, and reflecting on everything their organization has given them, all in preparation for formal recruitment in the fall.

I went through formal, values-based recruitment Fall of my freshmen year, almost two years ago, and I can honestly say it's been one of the best decision I've ever made. Going through recruitment as a freshman was a great way to meet so many amazing young women, and learn about each sorority on my campus.

This will be my first year being on the other side of the recruitment process, since I missed recruitment last year while I was studying abroad, and I am so excited to share my love for my sorority, Kappa Delta, with each potential new member I'm lucky enough to meet.

In the spirit of going Greek, I decided to reach out to 11 of my friends in different sororities, at different schools and of different ages to hear about their sorority experiences and why they decided to go through recruitment in the first place. They're all very different, and some were even pretty hesitant about sorority life but decided to trust the process and found their home.

Their answers brought a smile to my face with each new response so I thought I'd share them, keep reading to see what they said!

1. The experiences I've gained through my sorority really set me apart

I went through recruitment to join a community and make my large state school feel a bit smaller. I wanted to be involved on campus and have opportunities for leadership roles, and this seemed like the best way to do that.

When I asked if she is still happy with her decision she made to go through recruitment almost five years ago, she said,

SO HAPPY. I loved my chapter and all the opportunities that came from it. I was able to be on the executive board and actually landed an incredible job right out of college because of it! My interviewer was president of her sorority and we really bonded over the experience. After I was hired, she later told me that my experiences really set me apart!

-Marta M, a proud alumna of Delta Gamma, Beta Omega at Washing State University

PC '13

2. My sisters have pushed me to be something more

I wanted to go through my first year in college but I also didn't want to have to worry about too many commitments and the time management the comes along with joining. So I decided to wait until my Sophmore year, at this point I knew what I needed to do to keep up with school so that made me less nervous. Secondly, I really wanted to find a good group of girls I could count on and make those really strong friendships with. I also love giving back to the community, each organization has their own philanthropy and I thought ours was a great one! (Along with all the others)

She then said,

I am super happy with my decision! Being in my organization I have met my new roommate and my best friend. I also have been able to get more involved in campus activities. The best part is they have pushed me to be something more, I have been exposed to many things that I would have probably never done and it has given me many opportunities that can help me in the future.

- Katy J, a proud member of Chi Omega, Pi Mu at Florida Gulf Coast University

PC '17

3. We're changing the world

I went to a school in another state and had no friends my first day on campus. I was in honors college and I was already making friends in there, but I wanted to broaden my horizons and be apart of an organization that cares so much about each other and the community around it. I was the first member of my family in Greek life so it was something I was going into kinda blind and I was not completely sure I would fit in, but I wanted to try.
I am still very happy with my decision. I have made lifelong friends that support me when I need it and help me celebrate life. Greek life has also helped me make connections not just within my chapter. I have made friends with girls in other organizations on campus and I have made connections outside of my university through Sigma Kappa that have helped guide me in my professional career. I have been able to serve my community through my sorority and it has helped me make a change in the world with the money we have raised for Alzheimer's. Greek life is what you make it and I chose to make it a wonderful experience filled with service and friendships.

- Katherine M, a proud member of Sigma Kappa, Theta Alpha at Application State University

PC '15

4. I fell in love with not only my chapter, but the Panhellenic community

I went through recruitment to make lifelong friendships and to get involved on campus as soon as possible! I'm so happy with my decision! I not only fell in love with my chapter but with the Panhellenic community. I have grown as a leader inside and outside of my chapter. I have found the friendships I was looking for and have grown a passion for St.Jude!

- Sammi L, a proud member of Tri Delta, Epsilon Alpha at Florida Gulf Coast University

PC '16

5. I have so many opportunities to serve my community

I decided to go through recruitment because all of my roommates were in sororities and I felt like I was missing out! I wanted a chance to meet new people and be involved in something more social.

When asked if she is happy with her decision she said,

I am totally happy with my decision! I've met so many great people in my sorority (and others!) and wouldn't change anything. I've been much more involved on campus and have had so many opportunities to serve my community.

- Emma H, a proud member of Alpha Gamma Delta, Zeta Pi at Saint Joseph's University,

PC Spring '18

6. I found a place I can call home

I kinda decided to go through recruitment on a whim. I signed up my freshman year and never went through with it because I thought I only wanted to do it because that's what girls did. I spent the year thinking about it and decided that there's never any harm in trying and I have nothing to lose from at least a putting myself out there.

I am extremely happy that I went through with recruitment. I found a place that I can call home (as cheesy as that sounds), and that the girls wanted me to be apart of their chapter. Sometimes it's really easy to feel like a face in a crowd and going through with this process made me feel seen and appreciated for who I am as a person and what I'm able to contribute to such an amazing organization.

- Sydney H, a proud member of Alpha Chi Omega, Gamma Theta at the University of Maryland

PC Spring '18

7. I've found some of my best friends

Going to a large university I wanted to find a group of girls that shared common interests and could help make the school feel more like home.

She then said,

I could not be happier with my decision and can say I've found some of my best friends, as well as a way to stay connected in my community.

- Diana W, a proud member of Kappa Delta, Beta Pi at the University of Florida

PC '17

8. I've grown so much in just the past two years since joining

I was never interested in Greek life until I realized the opportunity for philanthropy and growth!
I couldn't be happier with my decision! I have grown so much in the last two years. I couldn't have imagined myself where I am at this point.

- Lexy O, a proud member of Alpha Chi Omega, Kappa Chi at Florida Gulf Coast University

PC '16

9. I love our philanthropy

I went through recruitment because growing up I always knew I wanted to join a sisterhood. I went to an all-girls high school so I thought joining a sorority would be my home away from home since I was so used to always being with a group of girls.

When asked if she was happier about her decision to go through recruitment she said,

I am beyond happy with my decision, not only do I love our philanthropy of breast cancer education and awareness, but I truly have met my best friends through my sorority.

- Jackie J, a proud member of Zeta Tau Alpha, Kappa Tau at Florida Gulf Coast University

PC '16

10. You'll never regret trying

I decided to go through recruitment because I was always struggling with finding MY girl gang. A group of women, including myself, with similar values and a desire to embrace their individuality and confidence. I wanted to find this through recruitment. I knew a values-based recruitment would give me exactly that and that is why I gave it a chance.

I have never been so proud to stand true to my letters and do it alongside my sisters. I am so happy but I can see our chapter do so much more and I see that every day. So, with progress, my happiness has flourished unconditionally from my time as a new member to now. I have never regretted my decision and I will never regret my decision. My chapter really is forever.

She also added some advice to women considering if they should go through recruitment,

You'll never regret trying. Giving it a chance will help you understand what our community has to offer. If it's not for you that is okay but if it is you will gain something that will mold you into a sorority woman that you never dreamed you would be.

- Kendall R, a proud member of Phi Mu, Theta Nu at Florida Gulf Coast University

PC '15

11. I wouldn't have had the college experience I had without these girls

The next sorority woman I talked to told me a little more about her story.

She said that we waited until her sophomore year to go through recruitment, partly because she "chickened out" her freshman year, but mostly because she was worried srat life wasn't for her and that she wouldn't fit in. She also explained to me that she wanted to expand her horizons, have many different friends in different clubs and organizations she eventually joined.

When sophomore year came around she decided to go through recruitment and she said all of the growth she went through freshman year led her to the sorority that she was meant to be in. She ran home to the girl who would turn out to be her G Big, and best friend.

I decided to go through recruitment because back home I had a strong group of girls that always had my back. In college, I made some wonderful friends freshman year but I missed having a core group of girls, instead of a just few best friends. I have always been a girl's girl and love hanging out and learning from each other. My sister is my best friend and I wanted to have and make more sisters in college that could help me get through the next couple of years.
Yes, I am happy with my decisions. It hasn't always been easy and I haven't always been happiest sitting in chapter every Sunday when I have homework to finish, had a rough day or just need a nap. However, I think that you get what you put into sorority life. I wasn't on council or super involved in recruitment, but I put my everything in with the friendships with sisters I had in my chapter. My best friend is a girl that I met on a random breakfast date during temp big week. She kept me together during the hardest couple of months of my life during senior year. She's always there for me and she knows I'll always be there for her. My little and I always have each other's backs. We make each other laugh all the time, sometimes we disagree, but we always give wah other the best advice. She's such a joy in my life and we wouldn't have met if I wasn't in Kappa Delta. My family, including my G and G little, always make my day brighter. I can honestly say I wouldn't have had the college experience I had without these girls.

- Olivia D, a proud member of Kappa Delta, Eta Tau at Florida Gulf Coast University

PC '15

If you're someone who's on the fence about going through recruitment, just remember that it never hurts to try something new, no matter who you are or what year you're in, there's a home for everyone, and you will be loved.

Great women go Greek, sign up for Panhellenic recruitment today!