What I've Learned From My Philanthropy

What I've Learned From My Philanthropy

Raising money while having fun!

Just around the time that the leafs start to change, almost every sorority and fraternity on college campuses begin to have their (fall) philanthropies, including my own. As you'd picture it, there was about 30 girls outside of our sorority's house and we were all screaming our heads off.

Overall, it was an amazing experience. You try so hard to raise money for your philanthropy, and once you see that hard work paying off, you feel so accomplished. And by the end of the night, when you find out how much your chapter just raised, you're in total awe. It might not make as much as every other chapter, but you still raised money to help others.

There are those cliché moments when you picture a sorority girl jumping up and down and acting foolish, and that's exactly how me and a few of my sisters were throughout our philanthropy. Not only did we act like complete weirdos while jumping around and dancing, I was the girl that was screaming at cars who drove by saying "I know you want some pizza" (while holding a poster board cut in the shape of pizza.) I had so much fun acting so quirky, and I knew I wasn't getting completely judge for it. I did have a few people tell me I was crazy, but hey it was all worth it in the end. I might've lost my voice and had sore legs the next day but we raised money for the visually impaired and that's all that matters to me.

What I've realized after being a part of both philanthropies my chapter puts on is that all the hard work people put into event's is worth it. I remember I was so stressed out at the thought of filling requirements the first go around, and I didn't fully understand why we had to fill them. My thought process was that other people would sell more than required, so why did I have to sell 8 jerseys, or 4 tickets... I soon began to realize that the money goes straight to our philanthropy. The more tickets, jerseys, shirts, etc. we sell, the more money we have raised to help others.

Throughout both philanthropies, I learned that the Greek system is so much more than what some make it out to be. I will stand by my opinion regarding that. I truly got involved in Greek life knowing I wanted to be involved in the philanthropic side of things. Between attending my own philanthropy, and attending others I have learned that each chapter has something they work so hard to raise money for, and not one philanthropy is better than the other. Money is being raised for such amazing causes, and everyone has to work hard to raise that money.

No matter what, I love my sorority and all that we do to help the visually impaired. I am happy I have been able to raise money for our cause and I can't wait for our next philanthropic event.