What is Self Care?

What is Self Care?

How do you relax and take time to better yourself?

30
What is Self Care?

What do you think of when you hear the words self care? Do you think of a bubble bath, relaxing music, hydrating skincare, and warm food? Or do you think of something else that is special to you and only you? Self care is one of the most important things we can do and it's essential to figure out what form of self care benefits you the most. No two people are the same, so many people have different ideas when it comes to self care. It can be as simple as keeping your hygiene good, listening to good music, and eating the food you crave. Self care should never make you feel guilty; we as humans need time to ourselves and for ourselves to help us mentally, emotionally, and physically. Taking the time to listen to your mind and body is not something you need to be ashamed of. Something I used to struggle with was not fueling my body when it needed food, and this was something I learned to stop being guilty about because it was affecting my mental health. Once I realized it was ok for me to do what was best for my body, the guilt was lifted.

My idea of self-care includes watching a lot of TV, eating good food, spending some time on the health of my hair, and spending time alone. I personally like being isolated and taking the time and effort to better myself. Others may have different ways of relaxing and fulfilling their cravings; for example one of my friends, as a form of self-care, likes to shower and keep herself extra clean. My younger sister's self care involves doing her nails, practicing with acrylics and gel; although the smell is a little distracting, it's what helps her relax and makes her happy.