What Is Colorism? The Body Shaming Tactic Nobody Talks About

Colorism Is Real But We Never Seem To Talk About It

This needs to be talked about more.

255

A topic that is hardly talked enough about in society is colorism, a form of discrimination against those with less "fair" skin. Colorism values lighter skin tones over darker ones, especially in terms of people of the same race. It leads to people disrespecting those with darker skin tones, just because they perceive them as "less beautiful."

Imagine having that title pinned on to you for your entire life just because of the beautiful skin tone you were born in. Darker-skinned males and females may be told that no one would ever marry them because they are dark, that they are ugly, or that they need to lighten their skin to be successful in life in society.

Colorism is prevalent worldwide, and it needs to be talked about in every corner of the globe. Devaluing people because of how much melanin is in their skin is unreasonable and inhumane.

Products have actually been made to lighten people's skin.

That's right. Brands have decided to devise products that support colorism even more. Skin-lightening and skin-bleaching creams are heavily marketed. The advertisements surrounding these brands highlight young adults with darker skin tones being sad, lonely, and upset. Each of these ads progressed to the person being handing a skin-whitening cream, and their skin suddenly lightening ten shades. Now, with lighter skin, the person seemed happier, and the main problem he/she had at the beginning of the ad suddenly disappeared.

Skin color has nothing to do with being successful. The only problem that cream was addressing was that many societies are extremely harsh and derogatory toward people with darker skin.

Why is it a problem?

Self-esteem is so important, especially in an individual's teenage years. Reshaping a person's schema so that she/he thinks she/he is inferior because of her/his skin-tone may have profound effects throughout one's life. That feeling of inferiority may carry on and lead to low self-confidence.

No matter what society says, always aim to bring people up! Skin color is not a determinant of anything but the amount of melanin present in your skin. That's it. It has no biological role in the definition of beauty, the establishment of intelligence, or a person's success.