20 Things That I Have Learned After My First Semester at UVA
Education

20 Things That I Have Learned After Surviving My First Semester At UVA

So. Many. Things.

388
Casey Clarke

It is so hard to believe that I have made it through my very first semester of college. When I started my college experience in late August, I never really thought about how much I would grow in just a few shorts months of being at the University of Virginia. However, looking back now, I realize that I have grown. The girl who was once very shy and awkward is now slightly less shy and awkward (although I think that I have gotten more clumsy). I have become more confident in myself, more mature, and better at being on my own. While I still have a lot to learn in the next three-and-a-half years of college, here are some of the biggest things that I have learned in college so far.

1. Don't be afraid to be yourself

2. It is okay if it takes you a little bit longer to find a solid group of friends

It took me over halfway through the semester to develop some of my closer friendships.

3. It is alright to feel homesick

As long as you are not homesick for the entire semester and are happy where you are, it is perfectly normal to miss home.

4. There are fewer grades in college courses than in high school courses

In high school, my AP Psychology class had homework, quiz, participation, and test grades. In college, my Abnormal Psychology class only had four exam grades.

5. Online reviews of the class and the professor are great tools when scheduling classes

The Course Forum and Rate My Professor were so helpful to me when registering my classes for the spring semester.

6. If you are struggling in a class, get as much help as you can

It never hurts to go to the professor's office hours or get help from a friend in the class.

7. It will be okay if you do not do very well on an assignment or exam

It is not the end of the world if you receive a poor grade. It is just a reminder to study more and pay more attention in class.

8. Make sure that you do not overwork yourself

While you may want to study a lot for a big exam or paper, make sure that you are giving yourself plenty of breaks and rest.

9. Time-management is one of the best and hardest skills you will need in college

It can sometimes be tough having to manage a lot of schoolwork, especially when many tests or papers are due around the same date.

10. Don’t compromise your mental health for your grades

Do not stress yourself too much worrying about your work for classes. If you are on the verge of a mental breakdown, take some time for yourself and talk to groups like CAPS for better strategies to manage your work and stress.

11. Invest in some good walking shoes

When there is almost always a ten minute walk from your dorm to your class, you better have comfortable shoes.

12. The Rider bus app will be your both your best friend and worst enemy

It is great when the app is actually working, which is about 50% of the time.

13. Use your plus dollars and meal exchanges often

This helps to add some variation to your lunches and dinners since the dining hall food can become boring at times.

14. Even if you are not a huge fan of parties or Greek life, you will fit in

I am not a big fan of either, but I still definitely feel like I belong here.

15. Never say no to an opportunity

There are so many opportunities at UVA. If one interests you, don't be afraid to apply or sign up.

16) If are rejected from a club, job, or internship, don’t put yourself down

You did the best that you could and had the confidence to apply or audition, so instead be happy in your decision.

17. Be kind to everyone since you never know what one might be going through

Even the smallest act of kindness can make someone's day brighter.

18. Definitely become good friends with your roommate if you can

My roommate is my best friend at UVA and I would not have it any other way. We have shared a ton of amazing experiences and great memories.

19. No matter how many times you walk past the Lawn or the rotunda, you will never get tired or how beautiful it is

I walk past the Lawn almost every day to get to my class, and I am still astonished by how beautiful it can be.

20. No matter how stressful it may become, always try to keep a positive mind and have fun

While you are at college to receive an education, you are also here to have a good time and make great friends and even greater memories.

While I have learned many things over the course of this semester, I know that I still have much more to learning and growing to do. I am very excited to continue this amazing journey at UVA and for all of the incredible opportunities to come.