What I Learned From Writing Out My Goals
College

Why should New Years be the only time we make resolutions?

154

As I'm writing out my list of goals for the spring semester, something I do every finals period, I came to the realization that my goals are more oriented towards school than they were my freshman year. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, nor necessarily a good thing, just something that opened my eyes to the ways my priorities have changed since my freshman year.

I remember, a few weeks into fall semester freshman year, I was procrastinating studying for a biology exam in a study room with my friends, when we decided to write down our goals for the semester on desktop post-it notes. Jokingly, we wrote things such as, "1. have a hot date to fall formal," "2. meet the love of my life," "3. make friends in my classes," etc. I'm a reminiscent person (AKA a horder), so I kept the post-it note up all semester. While I did not complete goals 1 and 2, I did successfully make a few friends in my classes.

This, to me, felt like a huge accomplishment, and the only sensible reason I could figure why it would is because I wrote it down. For some reason, writing things down and being able to check them off is much more satisfying than just knowing you did it. Ever since that semester, I've been writing down my goals, a little more seriously this time, and being able to check them off, no matter how small the goal may be, makes me feel like the most successful person in the world.

Spring semester of freshman year, my goals consisted of "1. do better in your classes," "2. say yes to more things," and "3. be more confident in yourself." At the end of the semester, I could officially say I completed all three goals. I probably never would've thought to actively work on my self-confidence if I didn't have that post-it note to remind me every time I opened my laptop.

This semester, my goals consisted of "1. manage your time well," "2. make more A's than B's," and "3. be more involved and engaged." I know that, closer to senior year, my goals will consist of things such as "1. get accepted into grad school," "2. get 3 letters of recommendation," "3. graduate cum laude." The thing about college that I didn't initially realize is that you no longer have your support system, whether it be your parents, your teachers, or your school counselor, telling you each step you need to take to be successful.

Now, all that's left is you. This can be a hard thing to get used to, but taking the initiative to motivate yourself is an impactful decision. Even if it's as simple as a post-it note on your desktop. Write down your goals. See the impact it makes on your psyche when you achieve them. Keep writing down your goals until you fulfill your purpose. If you look at your goals as a to-do list, you will never fail.