What Having A Little Brother Has Taught Me

I love you, little brother.

28
Kendra Anderson

Like a vast majority of people my age, my parents are divorced. Both of them have moved on to other people and each have happy lives. A little over a year after my parents split, my mom found out that she was pregnant again. Not once did I ever think I'd have another sibling, but at the age of 13 I was about to be a big sister again. At first I wasn't too thrilled when I found out I was going to have a little brother since I wanted another sister, but after a while I came around to the idea.

Treyton, or Trey for short, was born in late January of 2011. I loved him the second I saw his wrinkled little face and held his tiny little body. Looking back five years later, it's hard to believe that he was once an eight pound four ounce newborn baby. Since then I've grown to love him even more, laugh at his silly personality and marvel at how smart he is (I think he gets it from me, just sayin'). I don't get to see him as much now that I have a job, friends and I'll be going to college, but when I do I cherish every minute of it. I can't wait to see him grow up and become the smart young man that I know he will be, but at the same time I wish he could stay little forever.

Before Trey was born, I had very little experience with babies or young kids and didn't really care for them too much. Now, I absolutely adore them. Even with all the crying and the temper tantrums and everything else in between. After Trey was around three or four months old, my mom began to let my sister and I watch him for a couple of hours while she would go to the grocery store or run some errands. She'd leave us bottles of milk in the fridge for us to feed him if he got hungry and set out clothes and diapers for us to change him. Never did I think I'd be doing this at the age of 13, but there I was taking care of my baby brother (We lucked out since he wasn't ever very fussy).

When my mom was still pregnant with Trey, he was an active little guy and definitely still is today. I remember talking to him when he was still in my mother's belly and he'd kick and jab his little feet all the time. He rarely stops moving, and when he does, it's only for a short period of time. The kid wears me out faster than you can believe when he wants to run around the yard. Car rides and music were also a favorite before he was born too. Nowadays he sings and dances to songs he knows whenever they come on and it's the cutest thing ever.

I think the biggest thing that Trey did or has done for me is teach me love. He will forever be the first boy I loved with all of my heart. He is the sweetest, silliest, smartest and most loving little brother I could ever ask for. Every time I see him, he runs to me with the biggest grin and gives me the biggest hug and kisses (especially when my mom keeps it a surprise that I'm coming over). He tells me all about his toy trucks and tractors whenever he gets a new one (they're his favorites), and I happily listen every time.

Before this gets too long, I just want to say this:

I love you, Trey baby, and I'm so proud to call you my little brother. You're going to be such an amazing young man someday, and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for you. But for now, stay little OK? Don't grow up too fast.

Love, your big sister "Enda."