What 'Harry Potter' Means To Me

What 'Harry Potter' Means To Me

Books are rich in life lessons.

463
What 'Harry Potter' Means To Me
Favim

The book has only been opened once, but as my fingers graze the cover, my mind automatically remembers everything. How could it not? This book — this whole series — has been a part of my life for such a long time that I would be concerned if my brain didn’t remember everything. Without even opening the book, I begin to remember why I haven’t touched it in nearly nine years. The emotions I experience at the hands of this series are overwhelming, and I know the book most likely still contains dried tear stains. Some may call this pathetic, but I disagree. It’s difficult for someone to understand the impactHarry Potter” has on someone without having read it themselves. As I begin to readHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” for just the second time, I feel as though I am only just beginning to understand the impact that the Boy Who Lived has made on me.

Harry Potter has become so ingrained in our culture that most people know the basic story. Those who have never read it may ask, “What’s the big deal?” My experience may not be universal, but for me, the basics of the story do not matter. The lessons Harry and his friends taught me, though, will stick with me forever. Throughout the course of the series, Harry is abused and manipulated by many of the adult figures in his life. On top of that, he has Voldemort attempting to murder him nearly every year, and by the age of seventeen, experiences more grief and pain than many of the adult characters in the series. In spite of what happens to him, Harry remains unfailingly kind and compassionate. Harry has taught me that I am not my negative experiences; what happens to me does not dictate who I will become. There’s no doubt that life experiences shape people, but Harry taught me that ultimately, I am in charge of my destiny. More importantly, he taught me the importance of forgiveness and letting go.

There have been a few people who have wronged me, and I’ll admit that I held some anger towards them. As I began my annual Harry Potter reread (somehow always excluding Deathly Hallows), I slowly began to realize that I needed to let go of my anger. Harry went through much more pain than I ever have, yet he proves that he is able to let go of the past and begin afresh. As I read through the series again, I am beginning to realize that I can begin afresh too. Holding on to the past and wishing it were different will only hinder me. Though I may never understand why certain events went down the way they did, I know now that I may never get closure. Harry taught me that whether I receive that closure or not, I need to move on and stop letting past events hinder my growth. Like everyone else, I am constantly changing and evolving. If I remain stuck in the past, I’ll never become who I want to be. If Harry can let go and forgive, I can too.

Deathly Hallows is not just the culmination of the series, but the defining moment of the theme: love. Tt is love which enables Harry to defeat Lord Voldemort. If Harry’s heart was clogged with bitterness, Voldemort most likely would have won. Those who have wronged me are no Lord Voldemort, but it is still important for me to remember to let love and compassion win. Otherwise, those people get what they want -- to see me fail.

In the end, this only scrapes the surface. I could ramble all night aboutHarry Potter” if someone would let me. There are so many more lessons Harry taught me that I will carry with me forever, but I know that my words will not do them justice. For the people in my life who wonder why Harry Potter means so much to me, this is why. I hope that you’ll carry these lessons with you too.