What Is Going On In Louisiana And What Can You Do To Help?

Take action before it is too late.

25
Google Images

You pass through the doorway of your home and what do you expect to see? Probably the couch that often doubles as your bed, or that dinner table that has been in your family for nearly a century. Sometimes, expectations fall short of reality. And for the citizens of south-central/ southeast Louisiana, this is sadly the case. Over the past week Louisianian homes, businesses, and property were ravaged by the flood. When citizens of Louisiana walk through their doors, they see bowing floors, destroyed furniture, and fading memories. Some Southerners have yet to return to their home and haven't seen anything at all. Some are still waiting for the waters to reach their doors. What is our nation doing about this? Nothing. Where are the headlines on the news? Hiding.

You see that I am constantly using the word "Louisianian" or "Southerner" to describe this eclectic group of displaced people, instead of using the word "americans." That is because the majority of people paying attention to the flood and caring about those who are affected are either Louisianians, or citizens from neighboring states. There is a lack of nationwide support for the state that houses the most crude oil refineries in the nation, where 25% of the US's natural gas is produced, and 25% of the nation's seafood is caught. There is a lack of support for a state that serves the nation.

Want to know what is going on right now in the flooded areas of Louisiana? Public school in Louisiana resumes during the month of August and as of August 19, 22 out of 70 public school districts in the state are shut down. This is impacting the education of over 240,000 students, not including the nearly 2,100 students who are part of a private or charter school system, according to Danielle Dreilinger, reporter for The Times-Picayune. In Livingston Parish, 75% of all buildings were touched by the Great Flood. But with all this devastation and despair, you have a united group of people from different walks of life providing a helping hand to their neighbor. You have people, now labeled 'the cajun navy', venturing out into the swampy water in search of stranded community members, as well as animals and prized possessions.

Joseph Hoffman, Louisiana resident and victim of the flood believes "thoughts, prayers, and hopes are incredibly indolent forms of aid." Alyssa Schulenburg came home to childhood crafts floating in her house and a mother with teary eyes. "Spiders, worms, leeches, and slugs covered our back porch as the water rose, and now they fill our home," said Schulenberg.

These are just two voices impacted by the flood. There are 30,000 people rescued by first responders and many more who fled the scene of the storm. There are 13 people that we know of who lost their life, who never had the opportunity to share their story. Where is the support for them? Sitting in a dry, undamaged house reading this article --that is where the support resides.

What can you do to help? Well, you can retweet or share photos with a bible scripture. You can pray or send your good wishes, but there is only so much that can do. Toys for children and items that can serve as a distraction are appreciated, but not necessary. Sure, you can donate items to distract distraught kids, clothes, canned goods, or cleanup supplies. Even better, donate your money or time. By donating either of those things you will offer a helping hand where they are needed most. You will supply a community with items they will actually utilize. Nonetheless, whatever you can do to help would be appreciated by those who lost some, and some who lost all.

If you want to know more about making a positive impact in an area that only felt the negative repercussions of the worst natural disaster to hit America since hurricane Sandy, here's how:

1. Follow this link, there are about 1,156 pages seeking some financial assistance: https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=search&term...

2. Sign up to volunteer: http://volunteerlouisiana.gov

3. Call the Red Cross to volunteer: 855-489-2528

3. Go onto the Rouses website and donate. Here you can sign up to do a monthly donation. These communities aren't going to heal overnight: https://give.no-hunger.org/checkout/donation?eid=9...

4. Text LAFLOODS to 90999 to donate $10 dollars to the Red Cross relief efforts

5. Follow this link to donate money through The Salvation Army. Similar to Rouses website, you can sign up to donate monthly: https://give.salvationarmyusa.org/site/Donation2;j...

6. Support the schools of East Baton Rouge by following this link: http://www.foundationebr.org/

7. This link teaches you more about the United Way of Northeast Louisiana and their efforts to help support their southern LA family: http://unitedwaynela.org/relief.php

8. If you don't have money/time to give, raise awareness. You may not be able to donate anything, but your friends, coworkers, or neighbors could contribute to the relief efforts. Don't let this natural disaster be a hashtag fad or something people acknowledge, but do nothing about. Use your words to help influence those who can give.