6 Things Freshmen Learn After Their First Semester
College

Everything Freshmen Don't Realize About College UNTIL Sophomore Year

It's a lot more than you think...

190
Anna Solomonik

After a few months of freshman year, you feel like you know the ins and outs of college life. The truth is, there's a lot more you have to learn. These are a few things you'll come to find to be true about college in the upcoming months.

You can dress however you feel comfortable and still look cute.

The summer before freshman year, I bought a ton of "going out clothes," mostly shirts that dipped too low and things I would never ever wear, but I wanted to branch out because that's what college girls do, right? Turns out you don't have to dress a certain way to match the persona of a confident college girl. You can wear anything you want, as long as you're comfortable. Trust me, it's a lot better than wearing some dress that's too tight, pulling it down all night and only focusing on not flashing everyone instead of having fun and enjoying yourself.

You don't have to change your major after one bad semester.

Everyone has to adjust to the changes that college brings, and classes are no exception. The immense amounts of studying required to do well in college is not something many people can get the hang of right away. Many grad schools also take into account the "adjusting period." If you make more B's than A's( or more C's than B's) your first semester, you're gonna be fine. You just have to figure out study habits that work for you and your GPA will recover.

Visiting your parents isn't uncool.

The best remedy for homesickness is actually going home. Everyone tries so hard to seem independent by not visiting home often, but the truth is everyone longs for the comfort of their childhood bedroom, and mentally, it's the best stress reliever you can get. Sometimes you just need a weekend off to see your dogs, eat some good food, and lay in your own bed watching Netflix.

Making friends in your classes is easier than you think.

Everyone secretly wants a study buddy, so just strike up a conversation with the person sitting next to you about how they're doing in that class. GroupMes are also a godsend, so just send out a quick message saying you're gonna be studying all night before the test if anyone wants to join. Studying in a group with people from your class is so beneficial, because you'll not only stay more engaged, but you'll be able to feed off of what they know, and inevitably do better in the class.

Your professors don't hate you or want to fail you.

Your professor may seem like the harshest person in class but turn out to be the kindest person in office hours. You can't really blame them, though, imagine trying to keep 250 people quiet and focused on you talk about world history for an hour and 15 minutes. Gen ed professors do tend to be a little more cut-throat than major specific professors, only because they're trying to prepare you for the endurance needed to finish some of your harder classes, but no professor wants to see you try hard and fail. If you go to your professor, explain your situation and ask how you can better prepare for tests, they will see that you're dedicated to getting a good grade and help you succeed in their class.

No one is constantly judging your every move.

Coming to college is a scary experience, but other students shouldn't be what scares you the most. I know, as a freshman, I was so self-conscious about going to class with no makeup or riding the bus, etc. but I soon realized that no one cares. Literally. Everyone is so focused on bettering themselves and just trying to pass that they aren't paying attention to much going on around them. I've seen people riding razor scooters to class and playing tennis in the library, and no one did a thing about it. Too many crazy things happen on campus for anyone to notice that you tripped walking up the stairs or that you forgot to brush your hair that morning.