What Different Areas Can You Explore After College?

What Actually Happens After You Graduate.

12
mohamed_hassan

Everyone knows that after high school most people take their own paths. Some fall into a family business, possibly, while others take a "gap year" between high school and college. Most people these days though, know that a college degree is the more common way to be considered for jobs, so they end up going straight to college. Another four years planned, but what happens after that?

Most people, before they go to college think that by the time they are done, they'll have their whole life figured out.This is completely, as they soon discover, not true for everyone. Sure, some people are good at science and are able to pursue an entire career as a doctor of some-sort. But what about those creative people? Writers, artists, and performers? What about those who love history and those who love math?

What is your option after you graduate if you are either trying to break in to a profession people told you was not possible, such as for me, writing? The process is hard to digest. I spent over a year looking for writing internships and still have yet to land one. So for now I'm planning on working after I graduate, in any field if they take me, and on the side I'll still do my writing. But nobody graduating in their dream profession is excited to hear that it will take more than the huge effort they put into their Bachelor's Degree. You are going to have to FIGHT for the life you want.

After college, people usually have to start working and supporting themselves now more than ever- because they have no excuse anymore. Degree and age. By the time most people graduate they are in their early to mid-20s, about the time they want to be on their own. Problem is, even with your Bachelor's Degree you are still not going to get a job, possibly after a while. So you shouldn't expect that. BEFORE you graduate, months, years, you have to start looking for a job or at least internship in your field. Sadly though, prepare to fight, like said.

Another option is to go straight to grad school and find out your further interests. But great, more loans, more debt, AND for some professions it isn't even advised to go to grad school. Take journalism for example, a of mine professor stated journalists need practice in the actual field. Going, she said, would be a "waste of time".

Another option is to travel and explore the world before settling down and creating a "permanent" life for yourself. Some people want to travel the world and this is the only time they can before they gain more responsibilities. The point is, there are so many different routes you can go, you don't even have to chose just one.

Another thing you want to avoid when you are nearing the end of college is those people who brag about their success. You'll start comparing and then you'll find that you're forcing yourself to do "what every body else is doing". So what? They went to France and have an internship there and a stipend? Doesn't mean that's what you want to do.

Remember, your choice, your life.