What Being A Catholic Means To Me

What Being A Catholic Means To Me

Millennial's today have a different view on Catholicism that most people think.

103
What Being A Catholic Means To Me
Holycity.org

For all of us, whether we choose to have a faith life or not is a big decision. Often, we remain a part of whatever faith we were born into. Likewise, if we weren't born as members of any particular faith, we are likely to remain unaffiliated. Some people are atheist, or agnostic, complicating the spectrum of belief. Still, others are indifferent about faith, or believe in God, but only halfheartedly. Regardless of what you believe, having a faith life, and the degree to which you maintain it, is a big part of your identity.

I am a cradle Catholic. I was raised in the faith and was never really encouraged to scrutinize the Church or any of its teachings. That said, I believe I am more open-minded than many Catholics, and that's the message I aim to articulate here.

For me, being a Catholic means going to Church every week. It means praying several times a day. I view myself as subordinate to God but have a relationship with him that is mutual: a two-way street. More than following strict rules, my faith is based on good moral works and deeds. I believe in helping the poor, in service to others. I believe in being kind and compassionate to others and accepting people for who they are. More than anything, my faith is based on real-world action, not theoretical church doctrine. And yes, sometimes, in college, these practices are compromised.

Still, many people have turned against organized religion. Especially, large numbers are leaving the Catholic Church. What's more, hardly anyone who is not born a Catholic converts into the faith today. I understand why people feel that the best option is to turn against the Church. Often, the Church itself or many of its members can be judgmental. They put themselves on a pedestal and view themselves as "holier than thou". Admittedly, many Catholic policies, such as the Church's stance on homosexuality, and abortion is archaic. But, these stances are rooted in moral rectitude and, although they are somewhat dated, there is a theological reason such stances were put in place.

I just want everyone to know that a majority of Catholics, especially in the younger generations, are not "fundamentalist". We don't have anything against anyone who doesn't strictly follow rules of the Church. We believe in finding the good in everyone and doing what is right, while helping those in our community. I believe that the net impact religion has on the world is very positive, and I ask everyone scorns religion to consider that. That's my two cents.