The Struggle Of Being A Barista

12 Things Your Local Coffee Shop Barista Is Really Thinking

Time to spill the tea. Or rather, the coffee.

315
central perk friends
Photo Credit: Mia Dusek

Being in the service industry is an interesting experience to put it simply. People in the service industry have some of the best life skills you could have because we have to deal with a variety of situations and a wide range of people on a daily basis. I have worked at a coffee shop for almost 3 years and I have some pretty wild stories, a lot good and bad. I'd have to say with no limitations, that if you have not worked in the service industry (especially food or drink) you have absolutely no idea how hard it can be.

1. Please Just Acknowledge That I'm A Human

There's nothing worse than having customers who won't make eye contact with you, say hello, thank you, etc. It concerns me how there are people out there who'll completely ignore my, "Good morning, how are you doing today?" to just ramble out what they want to order. Like, do I even exist?

2. Don't Question What I Know, I Work Here

I understand that there are a lot of incompetent workers out there who really don't know what they are talking about, but when I am the manager on duty at my coffee shop and a customer questions if I'm really telling them the truth about not selling doughnuts, it makes me want to disappear into the floor. Please don't ask me twice about a simple question since, you know, I work here.

3. Please, Please, Please Speak Up. Please.

I must be really good at my job, because I get so many people who are barely making a sound and I can still figure out what they are ordering. How hard is it to actually talk at a normal sound level, I'll never know.

4. Your Total Isn't Going To Be The Same Price As The Menu, Tax Exists.

To all the people out there who say, "But it says that drink is $4.39, why is it $5.20?". Tax honey, tax.

5. Don't Start Eating A Granola Bar You Haven't Paid For Yet

There's nothing more gross than having a hot sweaty runner come in, open a granola bar in line, start eating it, and then having them hand you their unwrapped chewed on piece of food. Just be patient and wait please.

6. Iced And Blended

I actually would love to know how so many people don't know the difference between an iced drink and a blended drink; it's in the name. "So is a blended drink just crushed up ice?" no Susan, your blended drink is made in the blender, therefore everything is blended together. Thank you, next.

7. Dark, White, And Milk Chocolate

We have 3 choices of chocolate that people can get in their drinks where I work. For the first time last year I got a customer who asked me what the difference between them all is, and ever since that day I get asked so much more frequently. It concerns me that people feel the need to ask me that question, because frankly I don't know how to answer it without making the customer feel stupid.

8. Grabbing A Drink That Isn't Yours

When I call out a large iced milk chocolate mocha for Amy and a guy named Tom who ordered a medium black coffee comes up to grab it, why? It's an awkward situation, to say the least. I have to go, "Did you order a large iced milk chocolate mocha?" followed by a, "No, I ordered a medium black coffee." then why do you think it's yours?

9. Coming Behind The Counter

At the coffee shop, we have a long counter and bar area with an opening at the end for people who work there to get in. Here's my number one tip for customers around the world: Stop walking behind the counter and grabbing things when you don't work there. Why do people think it's okay to do? I'll never know. Please just ask if you need something and I will get it for you.

10. If We Close At Seven, We Are Closed

Please don't come in at 6:59pm with your bag of food from another place, sit down, and start eating.

11. Please Tip Your Coins, It Matters

I won't get into all the dirty details about tipping, but if you order something and pay with cash and have only coins handed back, please tip them. Some people think that it's rude to just put coins in the tip jar even if it's a couple pennies, but your coins matter! I bring all my tip coins to the bank every month or two months and I can get anywhere from $30-80.

12. Don't Tell Me To Smile More, It's Creepy

I have had a lot of older, male customers tell me to smile more, and they try to be cute about it but they aren't. I do my job very well, in which I always smile and act polite to customers. But I might be having a harder day, therefor a weaker smile. It's not your position to tell me to smile more.

Baristas are the ones that are giving you the boost in your day to keep moving. Without us, you would be hungry and exhausted. We are people just like you and serving coffee is our job, so please respect us, and we will do the same back!