13 Things They Leave Out Of Your College Brochure

Sure, colleges offer great things, but they never tell you the truth about campus.

25

13 Things They Leave Out of Your College Brochure

Everyone knows those typical college brochures. The "Hi come join blah blah blah University, we have so many great things to offer here." They continue to go on about how awesome the campus is and how great of a scenery they have. The colleges will include the clubs and sports teams that are there and how great the food can be, but they neglect to tell students about the real things that will hit you throughout the years. It's not always going to be easy. In fact, sometimes it's going to get so hard you'll want to give up, but when you come out at the strong end you'll realize that what was once such a huge deal then is now just a small speed bump behind you. For all the incoming classes, these 13 things, not included in the piece of paper your guidance counselor gave, will help you out a little extra.

1. Manage your time well. Sure it's fun to "Netflix and Chill" but your school work is far too important. You'll get downtime and be able to have a good time, just make sure you stay on the right track. It's easier to maintain a good GPA than it is to dig yourself out of a hole.

2.You're going to miss your family a lot. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and call. You'll make your grandparents day by giving them a call and letting them know how you are doing. You aren't lame for it and in the end it will make you feel better.

3. Make time to see your parents when you go home or ask them to visit you. Believe it or not you are going to miss them like crazy. Sure it's going to be fun being on your own at first but it will get kind of old and you'll want them there.

4. Not everyone you meet will turn out the way you think they will. People may seem nice or mean when you first meet them but they can turn out to be someone completely different. Be protective of your heart before they show their true colors.

5. You may not get along with your roommate and that's okay. Keep an open mind in the beginning. This is both very new for you and you're not used to living with someone outside your family. As the year goes on you may grow closer.

6. You may lose touch with your high school friends. The ones that matter and truly care will stick by you through it all. Maybe you won't talk everyday but when you do it's like you never skipped a beat. Make sure you see the important ones over break.

7. The long term relationship you might have now may not last and it won't be the end of the world. No matter what happens between you two, end on good terms. Make great friends at school because they are the ones that will get you through it and distract you from the hurt.

8. Make a friend or two in every class you have. It's college. Mom and Dad aren't here to make you go to class everyday and honestly you won't go every time. Having a friend makes it easier to keep up with your work.

9. The first semester is going to be the hardest. College is an adjustment to high school. You may feel overwhelmed at first but second semester should go a lot smoother.

10. Looking awful for class is not a bad thing, trust me. You're not here to impress anyone. If you want more sleep; press the snooze a couple more times, roll out of bed, throw on some clothes, brush your teeth, and go get that education. Who cares about what you look like.

11. You or one of your friends might get caught doing something stupid. Although it may seem bad now, remember it will get better and go away eventually. Don't sit around and fret about it.

12. Mostly everyone in college parties. Go out and have fun! But make sure you're with people you trust and you don't fall behind in your class. Be smart and safe, you'll have a blast.

13. If you feel the need to cry, do it. Sure you'll be really sad during it but after you finish a good sob you are going to feel so much better. It's not good to keep the weight on your shoulders.

College will stress you out and will bring great memories too. You'll be okay if you just step back, take a deep breath, and remember everyone is going through the same thing you are. If life knocks you down, pick yourself up and brush that dust off kiddo, because you have a bunch of loving people behind you, backing you up and cheering you on during this journey! Good luck in everything you encounter over these next amazing four years and keep these statements in mind. As Albert Einstein once said, "Life is like a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."