If Today Was Your Last Day, Would You Die Happy?

"Well, If I'm Not Here Tomorrow."

12
Beth Rush

It’s a morbid quote that my grandmother is rather fond of these days. It has become a bit of a joke in my family, which is a relief considering it sounds like something that could really bring down the mood. We used to hush her up and tell her not to say things like that because no one wants to think about the time when their loved ones are gone. I know that my grandmother is just saying it out of old age and it’s usually followed by a secret recipe or a silly reminder of something we need to know. But honestly, she has a good point; we may not be here tomorrow. No matter if you’re young or old, sick or healthy. It’s just the plain truth.

This weekend, I was in the mountains for a big family party. My grandmothers’ siblings were there and all of their kids who also brought their kids! It’s the type of extended family that you know you have but you never get to see. It was great to just listen to all the people around me. Everyone has memories and jokes and stories to tell about the good ol' days. My grandmother was so ecstatic to be with her brother and sister and I was happy to be a witness to it. We got to joking about her slogan, “if I’m not here tomorrow” and it just made me think. If she wasn’t here tomorrow after a day like today, I know she would be happy. She would have gone without a fear because she spent the day laughing with her family.

I want to live every day of my life the way she lived today. Sure, I’m a young kid in good health living in a safe neighborhood but still; anything can happen. It is so refreshing going to bed at night feeling like “if I’m not here tomorrow” I would have had a great last day. I’m not trying to turn into a hallmark card or anything but honestly, if you live everyday like it’s your last than you would have had a good life!

Now, I know as well as the next person that every day of your life cannot be the best day of your life. But today was just such an extraordinary day and because it was so extraordinary I know that I am going to sleep well tonight. Just this one day was enough to inspire all 500 words on this page. I won’t be able to have such an extraordinary day like this on any average Tuesday at the office, but if I, at least, wake up trying to make each day awesome than something a little awesome is bound to happen each day. That sounds like living with good odds.

I know that reading this each and every one of you could call to memory one extraordinary day. I’m just sitting here wondering, “why not every day feel like that one?”