6 Weird Things People Do On Social Media

Let's be honest, we've all at least done one or two of these.

888
Pexels.com

Let's be honest, we've all at least done one or two of these:

1. Snapchat: Posting THAT story for THAT person

I am very guilty for this particular strange-doing. You've got that cute guy as a friend on Snapchat, but he hasn't snapped you all day. Or maybe you've recently went from "In a Relationship" to "Single," and you'd like your ex to know that you are living it up without them. Maybe you just have any kind of shade to throw to that one person in mind. What to do? Oh, you post a Snapchat storyfor them to notice, of course. It could be a super cute selfie, or you singing a certain lyric that conveys that message to a song in the car. Either way, you post it strictly for that person to see, and you obsessively check your Snapchat story viewers every 10 minutes or so to see if he/she has viewed it yet. Sometimes it works, and your crush slides up with heart eye emojis. And other times, you sit there staring at their name under the list of viewers, wondering what went wrong.

2. Instagram: "Sorry, this post got deleted."

Now, something I am NOT guilty of, but see almost EVERY DAY. I've been an active user of Instagram since my freshman year of high school, and never have I experienced one of my posts getting deleted by Instagram, nor have I "accidentally" deleted a post. To do so, you have to go through several options, clicking one each time that will ultimately lead you to a deletion. Not saying it's impossible, but it hasn't happened to me in 5+ years. Here's what happened: a girl (or guy but probably a girl) posted a picture expecting all kinds of likes. Depending on what time she posted the picture, she probably didn't get as many likes as she wanted. Therefore, she deleted the picture and reposted it at a later time she thought would lead to more likes. She had to cover her tracks with the users who already saw her post, though, making up the story that infamous Instagram deleting had happened to her beloved post. Yeah, NOT TRUE.

3. Twitter: The place where our entire weirdness releases.

Twitter is personally my favorite social media. Why? Well, all of the users LITERALLY say anything that comes to mind. I can't tell you how many times I've thought something and immediately opened the Twitter app because I knew it would make a good tweet. Twitter is the place where we all take off the Instagram mask and Snapchat filters and expose the real person we are. And don't you just find that extremely weird? Why Twitter? Why does little-to-no one judge, but then opening a new app releases the courtroom? It just doesn't make sense to me, but I am completely OK with it.

4. Facebook: Realm of the videos

I'm not sure what the adults are up to on Facebook these days, but I know that my age group goes on Facebook to watch the videos that circulate. We scroll and laugh, scroll and cry, saving each and every video that touches our soul. And for what reason? I have no idea. I can tell you now that I have maybe watched 3 of the 2,342 videos that I have saved on Facebook and only then because I wanted to show someone else. I mean I guess we save them just so we can have them for later if we ever need them, but it is a bit strange that we binge watch tons of videos and end up with a stock of cats, weird earth facts, recipes, babies falling, and so much more I can't even and won't even name.

5. Tumblr: Who are you? Are we all OK?

There aren't many active users that I know on Tumblr, and that's how we all like to keep it for some reason. No one goes up to someone else and goes, "Hey, you're really cool. What's your Tumblr?" Tumblr is kind of like an online diary, and we all come up with blog names that we don't think anyone would be able to understand. We hide our identity from those who know us in real life. I can tell you why, though. Tumblr is the place where you literally spill all of your dark thoughts and feelings. Or in my personal experience with myself and others, that's what I have concluded. Again, I'm not sure why Tumblr is the place to do so, but I can guarantee you that reading any random person's Tumblr page will probably leave you feeling blue.

6. Pinterest: I want what I can't have.

I don't really think this is too TOO weird, but Pinterest is the place where we hold our ultimate wishes and dreams. And (the weird part) for girls, it's the place where we hold all of our wedding planning and baby shower ideas and other things we probably are nowhere close to experiencing. I have tons of wedding dresses, engagement rings, decor, baby names, etc. all picked out for when the time is right. At first, I thought it was just a me thing, but as I shared my Pinterest ideas with my friends, I have found that it is very common among teenage through 20-something-year-old adults. I am a single-pringle 19-year-old girl nowhere near to having a ring on my finger, why why why do I torment myself this way?

We will never understand why we do the things on social media the way we do it. But I, for one, am pretty glad we do because I can always count on a Snapchat story, Instagram caption, or subtweet to cheer me up like nothing else can. :')