Weekend Euro Trip Survival Kit

Weekend Euro Trip Survival Kit

Essentials for city breaks in Europe.

151
Weekend Euro Trip Survival Kit
Sarah Markley

To all students studying abroad this fall: I'm jealous! No matter what your destination may be, you’ll grow immeasurably during your time away and return home a more cultured and confident person. With so much packing and planning to do, it’s hard to remember everything you might need while you’re away. During my semester abroad, I took several short trips with my trusty backpack and a few good friends. A lot of amazing memories came from these adventures, but in the days leading up to my first trip I realized I didn't know what to bring! To help make your life easier, here’s a list of essentials to pack for shorter trips during the semester. Take a look, then start planning your perfect weekend getaway!

1. A great backpack

Not a good backpack – a really great one. A backpack that can be your new best friend. It has to be special since you’re trusting it to hold all your belongings for the entire trip. You also have to be able to carry it, even if you have to wear it around a city for the entire day. I bought the Tortuga Air before I studied abroad, and it was one of the best decisions I made. Since it opens sideways like a suitcase, I could pack so much more into it than a normal backpack and still reach everything easily. The padded straps, along with the chest and waist belts, made it comfortable to carry even on city walking tours. Plus it’s the perfect size to fit under airplane seats, which is a life-saver when all the overhead compartments are full. With a smaller backpack like this, you’ll never have to worry about carry-on restrictions.

2. The olloclip

Even if you have an expensive camera, it’s a pain to pack something that big for a weekend trip. Olloclip lenses makes your photos look professional, and all you need is your iPhone! Cell phone cameras are great these days, but olloclip can give you the options of wide-angle and close-up lenses which fit in your pocket. These are essential for panoramic nature scenes or for capturing huge monuments in one frame.

3. Travel journal

Write down a daily itinerary for your trip, and then keep track of your most important memories! You’ll love looking back at these when the trip is over, and they’ll help you fill out scrapbooks when you get home. You don’t have to compose a detailed report (a lot of people blog every week, but I never had time) as long as you write down the key memories which will make you smile a year from now.

4. Portable charger

When your iPhone (aka camera) runs out of battery the moment you reach the Colosseum, you’ll be so thankful for this little box. Constantly taking photos and checking your location on the map really takes a toll on your phone’s lifespan, so it’s helpful to have an extra battery with two or three more charges in it.

5. Travel purse or money pouch

Make sure you have somewhere safe to keep your money! My travel purse was awesome because the top zipper had a lock on it like the one pictured above. This came in handy when a pickpocket unzipped my friend's purse on the Barcelona metro but couldn't get into mine -- thankfully we were alerted to the situation before anything was stolen. You can also get a money belt or a wallet that hangs around your neck, which doesn’t sound fashionable but will definitely help keep your cash and cards safe.

6. Printed tickets and vouchers

Even if you have an electronic version of your plane tickets, it’s always good to bring a paper copy too! Some attractions only accept printed copies of tickets and reservations, so be sure to print them out ahead of time just in case.

7. The right locks

This is not a case where any lock will do. Make sure you have enough for all of your backpack's compartments, and that they’re TSA approved. Some hostels provide cages for your belongings but charge a fee to rent locks, so bring an extra big one to fit all containers and lockers.

8. Essential apps

The Skyscanner, Hostelworld and EasyJet apps let you book flights and rooms on-the-go, and you’ll easily be able to keep track of your reservation details. My favorite app of all time is City Maps 2 Go, and it has literally saved my life on several occasions. This app allows you to download maps for offline use, so you can see your location and save important landmarks without using wifi. You’ll always know where you are and what direction you need to go!

9. A few key phrases

Have some important phrases written down in the language of the country you’re visiting or download an app for learning the basics. Opening a conversation in the native language will make locals smile, even if your pronunciation is a little off. Making an effort goes a long way, and they’ll usually just appreciate that you tried!

10. Adapters

Make sure you have the right shape for the country you're visiting! And if you think you packed enough, pack one more.

11. Cash and cards

Have at least two ways to get money while you’re traveling. If the credit card company shuts down your account, make sure you can still use your debit card or carry a small reserve of cash.

12. Extra space

Leave some room in your backpack, because you will buy souvenirs – and you should! Pick something to collect from each city, like tiny paintings or beautiful postcards, or just surrender to the fact that the shopping is always great in Europe and you love clothes. You only have a tiny allowance of space to begin with, so only pack the true essentials. You won’t be sad you left those jeans behind when you want to get a soccer jersey in Barcelona!

13. A killer playlist

Because nothing sets the mood for a trip like the right song. Picture this: you’re speeding through the Italian countryside, watching the sun rise through a train window, listening to “Holocene” by Bon Iver. Perfection. This tip comes with a bonus: hopefully it'll remind you to bring headphones, which are the key to sanity if people in your hostel hate sleeping.

14. A wishlist

Make a list of the most important places you want to see, and try to fit all of them into your weekend! While it’s fun to be spontaneous, you don’t want to regret missing the biggest monuments and museums. Talk to your travel buddy and come up with a rough schedule that will work for both of you, and you’ll make lots of unexpected memories and discoveries along the way.

15. Your sense of adventure

Be willing to make friends, try new things and step outside your comfort zone. Go to a bar with people from your hostel, hike to the highest point for a view over the city, and challenge yourself to get around on public transportation. After your first trip you’ll be so confident that planning the next one will seem like second nature, and soon you’ll be exploring all the places you’ve only dreamed of. So go to as many countries as possible, enjoy yourself and make memories to last a lifetime!