A Weekend Getaway From COVID-19

A Weekend Getaway From COVID-19

"It's all about finding the calm in the chaos." - Donna Karan

4
A Weekend Getaway From COVID-19
Personal

Last weekend, I was given the opportunity to get out of Tallahassee for a few days and I could not have been more excited. With the closure of the FSU campus and most businesses surrounding the Tallahassee area, most people, including both of my roommates, opted to leave and go back home to their primary residences. Tallahassee is pretty boring when you don't have classes or work to attend and you're told to stay inside as much as possible.

Prior to my trip, I finished writing a paper for one of my classes which was due Monday morning. While I normally take homework with me when I go on trips, I didn't want any distractions on this one. I truly want to take the time to relax and enjoy myself. With the world focused on the issue of COVID-19, I wanted a weekend away from all of the stress surrounding it.

I met a friend at Kingsley Lake and we stayed in a hut on the lake for the weekend. We originally planned to drive out to St. Augustine but with everything closed down, we decided to stay around the base. It is a beautiful place to relax. The whole base gives off a sensation of peace. At night, we sat outside by the lake watching the boats go by and enjoying the sunset. We took a long hike and swam in the lake, getting some sun and some exercise. All in all, we enjoyed each other's company while also enjoying the fresh air and peacefulness surrounding the lake. I didn't want that weekend to end and after being home for three days, I just want to go back.

The minute I left the base, reality swooped back in and all of the emails I'd ignored and work I'd left behind came rushing in. I wish I could've stayed there for the rest of the semester instead of having to return to an empty apartment in Tallahassee.