Why Syllabus Week is Actually the Worst

Why Syllabus Week is Actually the Worst

How He is in control even in the midst of chaos

294
Why Syllabus Week is Actually the Worst
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_HkJknsWrG.jpeg

Oh, what a love-hate relationship I have with you, Syllabus Week. 

Yeah, it’s true, there is a bit more free time because nothing other than class has really started up yet, but after carefully going through each syllabus from every professor and writing down all the important due dates/test dates, I can't help but feel a little bit overwhelmed. 

I should probably explain how my mind works before this makes any sense, because trust me, I realize that most people look forward to Syllabus Week, and that I'm probably not the “norm.”

I'm a self-proclaimed anti-procrastinator. A type-A personality. A rule-follower. The ultimate organizer, and an extreme over-achiever. I thrive off routine, and love everything to be clean. I can't help it, it's in my nature. I don't like having a to-do list…at all. However, if I do have one, I like to do whatever is on that list within that given day. Sadly, this is not even a bit realistic. There is often just not enough time in a day.

So, whenever Syllabus Week rolls around, all of these characteristics of my personality seem to heighten, and I easily feel engulfed in anxiety and stress. If a certain professor has neatly detailed assignments for a class all the way up until the end of the semester within the syllabus, I feel the need to get those assignments done as soon as possible. If I don’t do this, my mind will keep reminding me about those assignments until they are done. It drives me insane. Last semester during Syllabus Week, I wrote what felt like 20 2-page papers, read ahead as much as I could in my World Lit class, and took 8 quizzes within about a 5-day time span. It was crazy, and by the end of it I was completely exhausted. 

I went into Syllabus Week with a different mindset this semester, and I can’t wait to share it.

On January 17th of this year, I read something in my daily devotional (New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp) that truly stepped on my toes, and spoke directly to my love-hate relationship with Syllabus Week. Let me just say, it was a game-changer.

“The difficulties we face everyday, the seeming chaos that regularly greets us, are not the result of the world being out of control, but the results of the reign of One who is in complete control.” 

Our God reigns for our sake and His glory, even in the midst of what feels like unrelenting chaos. Peace is found in understanding that a God who loves us is in careful control. As hard as it is for my personality to cope with, I don't have to have everything done. I don't have to be on top of everything. I don't have to give into my anxiety when I become overwhelmed with the stress of a busy week.

I was listening to a podcast recently where a pastor said something along the lines of, “You know why you have a never-ending to-do list? Because you’re not dead yet!” I cringed when I heard this, because I knew I needed to hear it. Even though I get frustrated whenever I have to add something to my to-do list, or whenever I get swamped with loads of homework during syllabus week, or whenever I don't get everything done in a day, I will still be thankful because a God who loves me, and who is in careful control of my life is not done with me. He has more in store for me, something even greater than I could ever imagine.

I know that most people don’t get as easily overwhelmed with the busyness of life as I do (especially during Syllabus Week), but at some point in our lives we all go through a season of chaos. 

So, to anyone who is currently in this season or will be in the future, I encourage you to reach out to a Savior who loves you, and who has your best interest in mind. Rest in the fact that he is in control. Find peace in the fact that he reigns for your sake and His glory.

“Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28