Smart Shopping Tips & Ideas for the Wedding Season
Beauty Fashion

The wedding season is going on in full swing. Before you set to shop online or in store for your wedding lehenga, read these smart shopping ideas.

64

Your wedding lehenga entails a lot of resources and therefore your choice should be appropriate. With these smart shopping tips and ideas, you can stock your closet with the latest wedding and bridal lehengas and save your resources too! Choose the right styles and also explore the world of internet shopping to have the best online shopping experience.

Dazzling moments, aesthetic surroundings, the company of your near and dear ones, sumptuous meals and loads of merriment- weddings are indeed buzzing, happening affairs! Whether it's your own wedding or you get invited to one, excitement is spontaneous and so is are thoughts of 'what to wear'. In India, where marriage ceremonies can span up to a week, pre-wedding preparations can take months and one of the activities that most women love shopping! For the array of parties lined up around the occasion, women tend to indulge in heavy wedding sarees, lehenga cholis and other traditional silhouettes along with tonnes of gold jewellery and other add-ons. Silk, metallic shimmer, dazzling diamonds and other appealing ornamentation- a typical Indian wedding wardrobe will have all of these!

The significance of wedding shopping

We often see groups of women walking into an ethnic-wear store and spending hours, totally focused on the details of every garment presented to them by the salesman. The grandness of Indian weddings dictates that each of the outfits worn by the bride and her family members should match up to the ostentatious vibe surrounding the event. Choosing the bridal lehenga is a slow task- and usually entails even repeated trials of the same garment. Even for the attendees, being well-dressed is a norm and therefore the wedding season is the time to step out into the market and hunt for the latest wedding lehengas, sarees and suits.

These days, the changing lifestyles of people, especially the rising number of working women has boosted online sales of wedding and bridal wear. Working girls prefer buying their wedding outfits online- browsing through thousands of latest designs over the internet during office breaks and other convenient times. Geographical dispersion of Indians is another reason for the Indian wedding store going digital.

Shop smart and get the best while saving big time!

Wedding outfits are usually heavy and therefore involve a good amount of money. Also, most of these garments are not repeated multiple times, thus further raising their cost per use. But given the scale of the event, you sometimes cannot compromise on the look of the garment- especially if you're attending a big fat destination wedding! Your selection must balance both- the overall appeal of your ensemble and your budget.

Whether you're buying your garments from a physical store or over the internet- these smart shopping ideas will help you get the best and save your resources too:

1. Look for plain lehengas or ones low in ostentation - Prints and heavy embroidery tends to limit the use of apparels. Instead of buying a zardozi work or bold printed lehenga, you can opt for a plain skirt and crop-top coordinate. Layer the garment with a heavily embroidered long shrug and add lots of jewellery! The plain lehenga can later be worn with a casual top and the jacket can be worn with denims as a fusion ensemble. Layers increase the versatility of your wardrobe.

2. Loyalty Works – Wedding – your own, at your home or a loved one's – is a special affair. You want to look your best – as this gives you great confidence too. So, taking chances is not the done deal. Thus, this is a time – when you go ahead and scour the markets and online websites, but stick to some trusted or tried brands or stores – for the most important and expensive purchases. Same applies to your designers and tailors – or when getting your ensemble customized. One who has already worked for you – is the reliable source for getting fittings and stitching of special outfits.

3. Basics are the Best - peplum tops and layered lehengas may be a rage these days, but these fads can fade away anytime. If you're looking for a silhouette that can be worn even a few seasons later, then opt for basics like a floral printed lehenga choli or a Banarasi silk lehenga choli set with shimmery brocade details- as these never go out of fashion!

4. Do your homework well - check for the latest trends before you step out to buy your coveted outfit. This is of utmost importance when you're shopping in a physical store. Do not rely on the opinions of sales-staff since their suggestions can be largely based on availability of stock.

5. Check out for deals online - You may be a traditional shopper who loves walking into huge malls and trying a dozen outfits before finalizing one. But when saving bucks is a priority, online shopping can be the best way out! Intermittently, a lot of websites offer heavy discounts so keep following your favourite sites well in advance to get the best deals as and when they're announced.

6. Read product details carefully, while shopping online - A product description will give you a number of details about the lehenga like the fabric and its surface feel, weight of the garment (which is very important for these types of garments), fitting style-like circular or A-line, components of embroidery, etc. A lot of these details cannot be obtained just by looking at the images, especially the feel of the fabric. A good product description will ideally give you all of these details so make sure you reading them before ordering your bridal or wedding lehenga.

Shopping is a delightful activity, especially when you end up stocking your closet well with the latest lehenga designs. So be smart shopper and get the best out of the vast Indian wedding store- to step in as the gorgeous diva that you want to be – at every Indian wedding!