We Worry Too Much About Our Future

We Worry Too Much About Our Future

Please do not let what might happen tomorrow prevent you from enjoying today.

52
We Worry Too Much About Our Future

To every student who is over-stressing themselves about the future,

Don't.

I know that it is scary to not know what the day might bring, but please do not let what might happen tomorrow prevent you from enjoying today.

Of course, the years leading up to adulthood beyond graduation seem to be a wild dash to build your resume and be the best candidate for jobs in your respective career field. I am not going to sugar coat things, but that is what launching ourselves into the adult world is about. Being proactive and preparing oneself for the future is a skill that will carry you far in life. As a college student myself, I can affirm that it pays to plan ahead. That being said, there is a fine line between planning for the future and being consumed by it. You need to take care of yourself first.

For us students, it is very easy to be obsessed with the future. The idea of success brings purpose to the lost sleep, arduous lectures, and incessant hours spent studying. Almost every student will inevitably face stress, so it is up to us to use the tears to propel us forward instead of letting our worries hold us back.

I have only been on this planet for 19 years. However, in that amount of time, I have learned that life is best lived when you are taking things as they come. I am not here to tell you that everything will be handed to you. I am here to tell you that all your work will pay off. Life has a crazy way of working itself out. Additionally, my intent is not to encourage a completely spontaneous, carefree lifestyle – and allow me to state quickly that those words are not synonymous. Not everything in life can be spontaneous and much of tasks, especially those performed in a working environment, must be done carefully. Though, there is something incredibly beautiful about impulsivity and taking time away from a busy lifestyle for things other than school and work.

So, occasionally, put that textbook down to get impromptu coffee with your best friend. Finish up that project and treat yourself to a post-homework facemask. Let this be an informal reminder that you really do deserve it. Make smart choices, make dumb choices, but most of all, make time for being happy! No matter how scary it may be, everything is going to fall into place somehow. You have the power to shape your future. When you get there, the only way you are going to smile as you look back on your life is if you live it with happiness.