First glance at the world around you and many will argue that feminism has already done its job and is simply ridiculous now. I would urge them to take another look. Yes, women can vote. I don’t mean to minimize the amazing victory that this was… In 1920. Almost a century later and women can vote, we can be doctors and CEO’s. But we still aren’t paid the same as men. We are still being treated like property. Even our medical concerns aren’t taken as seriously. So I’m going to give you a list of 10 reasons why we still need feminism.
1. Men are paid on average $10,000 more per year than women.
2. Only 4.0 percent of CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies are women according to Catalyst.org
3. I am still asked if it's my time of the month anytime I'm angry or upset.
4. Men who cry are compared to girls.
Which is supposed to be offensive. Why would being compared to a woman be offensive? Women are awesome. A woman gave birth to you. A woman is the reason computers work. A woman invented the ice cream maker. Ancient women were the first to make and drink beer. Women are awesome. So why is it so bad to be compared to one?
5. People feel like it's completely okay to not only ask me if I'm going to have kids, when my answer is no, feel they are also entitled to the reason why I am not going to put my body through nine months of pain and then labor.
It's none of your business and just because I'm a woman doesn't mean one of my only purposes on this earth is to have children. Having babies is just another crazy, awesome thing I can do if I want to.
6. The amazing United States of America... is the is the only developed country to not have a law requiring companies provide paid maternity leave.
Because women are going to have kids, and that forces them to take time away from their careers. But we in America aren't going to give them a paid leave of absence? For heaven's sake, catch up America.
7. When a woman is assaulted one of the first questions we ask are, "What were you wearing?" and "Were you drunk?"
8. Boys can't play with Barbies without being called gay.
9. Doctor patient privilege is there so the patient can be in control of his or her own medical decisions.
10. Have you looked at the media recently?
So yes we still need feminism. Because women are still not seen as equals. So until women are seen as equals and given equal opportunities and no longer degraded feminism will be necessary.
~A Proud Feminist