What We Know About 'Toy Story 4' So Far

After That Horrible Ending In 'Toy Story 3,' This Generation NEEDS 'Toy Story 4'

I just hope that this time, the toys can make their way back to Andy.

56

On Monday, Disney-Pixar released their first teaser trailer for the much anticipated "Toy Story 4," set to hit theaters in summer 2019. Even though many fans of the franchise believe that this story closed its book after "Toy Story 3," I am choosing to welcome this addition with open arms as someone who is unsatisfied with the ending of the last movie.

I'm fully aware that this is a hot take, but that can't change the fury that filled me as I sat in the theaters and watched the credits roll for 'Toy Story 3.' Yes, Andy is extremely generous and thoughtful for giving his toys to Bonnie, a neighbor who is just a few years old. The sentiment of passing the toys down to the next generation to share the joy given by them to someone else as an alternative to throwing them away is very much appreciated. Too bad that isn't enough for me to like and appreciate that ending. They're Andy's toys, and always will be.

I understand that growing up is an important part of life that is represented in this movie by Andy giving his toys away. Perhaps this ending was a little too harsh considering the emotional connection Pixar's audience had developed with the relationship between Andy and his toys throughout the years. Moving on is part of growing up, but letting go and forgetting does not have to be.

Let's also not forget to consider the toy's feelings. The whole premise of this series is about toys interacting with one another in the real world, which includes them having real emotions. Not only that, but the toys spent the entirety of the third movie trying to escape a daycare to get back to Andy who they've spent years with. And now we're supposed to believe that they're truly happy with Bonnie? I don't buy it.

Disney-Pixar, you sent out a wonderful message to children with this ending, but I will never be able to accept the fact that Bonnie is the rightful owner of Woody, Buzz, and the rest of the gang. At the least, this next movie will pass the joy and imagination of Toy Story down to a new generation of children (similar to the message of "Toy Story 3" that I rejected, I know) that myself and so many others had growing up. I just hope that this time, the toys can make their way back to Andy.