What Is Up With These Bad Suicide Squad Reviews?

We need to talk about this.

22
Google Images

Let's talk about Suicide Squad, guys. I have been impatiently waiting for the last two years for DC to grace us with this gem of a movie. So when it was finally released this week, I was SO excited. That is, until I started seeing all of the bad reviews the movie was receiving. Not one to be discouraged, I rounded the troops (my two crazy friends who were equally as excited), and went to see for myself.

Being the Marvel fan that I am, I was only skeptical of Suicide Squad because of the stigma cast upon the DC cinematic universe. And after hearing bad reviews of Batman vs. Superman, I had high hopes for Suicide Squad because of the all star cast. I'll be the first to admit that Jared Leto's Joker really gets me going; I like 'em crazy. But with a team of such amazing actors in such iconic roles, DC was bound to have a hit.

In my opinion, and the opinion of my aforementioned crazy friends, Suicide Squad is pretty great. It was funny, and action packed, and despite what others have said, all the action scenes were not shown in the trailer. Here is what my friends had to say:

Azia: I thought it was good and I liked the effects. The only thing I wish was different is that I wanted to see Harley Quinn did more, action-wise. I was expecting her to fight more and, like, flip people over with her legs or something. The other thing is that they promoted it like it was a Joker/Harley Quinn lover story. I would've liked for them to promote the other characters more. When I thought of Suicide Squad I thought of the Joker and Harley Quinn, not Deadshot or Enchantress.

Jay: I enjoyed it very much. At first I thought it was a conflict between the Joker and everyone else, which was concerning so I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. I like that they gave a little backstory on Deadshot, El Diablo, Joker and Harley Quinn, but I wish they gave some insight into the other characters. Like, I want to know about Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang, and for the people who might not be comic fans and don't know much about the characters it would've been nice. I know it got bad reviews but if you go into it and separate it from the comics and the reviews and just enjoy the movie, you'll really like it.

And here are my thoughts: I went into the theater prepared to hate it, but also really hoping to love it. I've never been into DC as a universe, like, the characters never really interested me and I really love Marvel. But when I heard about Suicide Squad, I started watching some of the shows to get an idea of their style and what I noticed is that DC lacks the continuity that Marvel is famous for. I love Arrow and The Flash so when I watched the movie I immediately began comparing the actors' portrayal of the characters. Jay is right in her statement, in order to really enjoy the movie for what it is, you have to separate it from everything else. So that's what I did, and I loved it.

I do wish that there was continuity with their characters because I would love to see Stephen Amell in a Green Arrow movie or Grant Gustin as The Flash on the big screen. But I think there are benefits to keeping the TV universe separate from the cinematic universe. For instance it allows for more flexibility when actors portray their characters and each actor can bring a little different to the table.

A couple things I didn't really like about the movie were the Killer Croc. Now, keep in mind I've never read the comics so I don't know how the character really is but I felt this portrayal was a little much. Like, they were trying to hard. I also wasn't a fan of the slow motion scene (I won't spoil it more than that though). I also wish the Joker got way more screen time. To be honest, Joker could've been the sole focus of the camera for the ENTIRE movie and I'd have been 100% satisfied.

Lastly, I get what everyone was talking about when they brought up the fact that the women were over-sexualized. I wasn't a fan of that specific aspect, but Jay pointed out that all of the main female characters in the movie are Doctors, so while it doesn't 100% redeem the sexism, it's still pretty cool.

So that's all, I give Suicide Squad 4.5 stars and if you're not completely discouraged, I definitely recommend you see it.