We Need To Stop Worshipping Celebrities

We Need To Stop Worshipping Celebrities

They are people, too.

1927
We Need To Stop Worshipping Celebrities

We live in an incredible time for art and culture to thrive. Despite poverty, war, and thousands of other problems humanity faces, we're arguably in the most prosperous and productive place we've ever been. This allows creative fictional stories to thrive throughout the world. Story telling is an incredibly powerful tool, and has given comfort and happiness to millions of people. However, I feel that our immediate access to media often allows obsession with certain cultural figures. Because we see certain celebrities in our favorite movies and TV shows, it is often easy to forget that they are human beings like us.

I am certainly no stranger to adoring celebrities. As a kid, when I saw a movie or TV show that resonated with me, I immediately wanted the characters to be my friends in real life. Even as a little kid, I figured out pretty quickly that's not possible. Instead, I researched and learned about the actual actors. That was close enough, right? They had glamorous, successful lives that I certainly admired. And since they played that one character in that one movie, it was as close as I could ever get to having the character in my life.

I don't know if this is the logic that everyone has when it comes to celebrities. Even if it's not, we have to admit that too many people tend to swamp and overwhelm famous people. Since they're faces are well known, many people give them almost immortal status. Some people take their obsession too far and resort to stalking or other dangerous behaviors. It's even gone so far that "news" and media outlets can make millions of dollars off of people's obsession over celebrities.

Friends, we have to remember something really important. Famous people are just people. Just because they're recognizable does not mean they should be idolized. Thinking they are infallible or even "better" than other people is dangerous. First of all, it gives celebrities a ticket to behave as if they don't have consequences or that they are better than everyone else. There are countless examples.

More importantly, it feeds into a slippery slope of worshipping people. People are flawed beings. And that's okay - no matter what, no one will always do the right thing. But when we revere celebrities and think of them as perfect, they cannot fail in our minds. But since they are human, they absolutely can fail. That leaves people who worship celebrities heartbroken over the mistakes that their adored celebrities inevitably make, or in denial that their heroes could make mistakes.

Usually worshipping celebrities does not come from a completely happy or self aware place. It is perfectly okay to adore something, like a work of fiction, with your whole heart (I do it all the time). But if anyone truly thinks that any human being is perfect is in for a lot of disappointment. I encourage you to consider why such focused and intense love for celebrities is necessary. Often times, such obsession with people we don't know is really rooted in deeper problems such as loneliness and confusion. Before you completely idolize every celebrity you come across, I would encourage you to consider the reasons where such unconditional adoration is coming from. Then please remember they are human beings like you and me. Humans should probably not be worshipped, and to be honest, a good chunk of them probably don't want to be worshiped like this.

I think Lin-Manuel Miranda summed up my thoughts on this pretty well.