We Must Stand United

We Must Stand United

The revolution will not be televised!

31
We Must Stand United
The Independent

I will admit, when I first saw the outcome of this election I was entirely disheartened. I was, and quite frankly still am in shock that America would elect such an openly hateful and discriminatory man to be our elected official. However, this is not the time to give up. We must stand united under our morals and our beliefs that America is for everyone, no matter their race, religion, sexuality, gender or social class.

We must stay inspired and hopeful that our country will stand strong and stand together because of our humanity and compassion. We must not allow ourselves to become hateful simply because our elected official is hateful. We must not allow ourselves to become fearful simply because our elected official has instilled fear in our hearts. Who we are does not have to be who our president is. We have the ability, and we must, keep moving forward even if our government is focused on regression.

We have the obligation to raise our voices in unison to let the world know that we are strong and we will not succumb to hatred, fear and ignorance. We have the obligation to stay up to date on our politics, laws and government. And we have the right to object and peacefully protest the government if what they do is unjust.

We cannot become defeated. We cannot become silent. We cannot become hateful. This is the most important time to stand together for the things we believe in. This is our time to spread the message of love and equality.

I refuse to believe that all of the progress we have made as a nation in the past several years will be stripped away. Though our rights may be threatened, there is strength in numbers, and we will fight.

Do not be fearful. Do not be discouraged. Remain hopeful that our elected official will set aside the things that he has said in mockery and bigotry, and become a leader who will respect the citizens and the nation that he is representing.

Together we stand. Together we are strong.

"The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised,
Will not be televised, will not be televised.
The revolution will be no re-run, brothers,
The revolution will be live."
- Gil Scott-Heron