"We Got It From Here...Thank You 4 Your Service" Album Review

One Last Look at A Tribe Called Quest

11

We Got It From Here is the long awaited Return of A Tribe Called Quest to the forefront of Hip-Hop after an almost 18 year absence from it. And with the death of there friend and fellow member Phife Dawg earlier this year it will also be the last album that they will ever make. The best way to describe this album is to say that although it doesn't incorporate Jazz horns as much as past Tribe Albums have it still maintains that Abstract afro-centric sound that is essential to the groups image and themes of empowerment in the African American community. The production level on this Album is nothing short of amazing. The balance between Live instruments and synthetic sounds blends perfectly with the flows of Q-tip, Jarobi, and Phife incredibly well. Also the use of vocal distortion and choruses gives the album a futuristic feel that serves it really well. However the most surprising thing to me about this particular album is that each of the members seem to have improved greatly as far as their lyrical prowess is concerned. This can possibly be attributed to the added life experience that they have gained in the last eighteen years. The album touches on many social issues within the black community like empowerment, gentrification, Politics, media coverage, mistreatment of women and the LGBTQ community. It is a wonderful achievement and a legendary curtin call by a legendary hip-hop group.

Grade:A+

Best Songs

1. We the People

2. The Space Program

3. The Killing Season

4. Conrad Tokyo

5. Kids