We All Wear Masks
Social Life

We All Wear Masks

Every day, we wear a different mask in every situation and person we face.

108
We All Wear Masks

It's weird.

Being surrounded by people, and never really knowing who they are. We have masks that we wear around certain people, and some of us may be under the misconception that around certain people we don't wear masks, but we do.

No one knows you as well as you know you. People only know bits and pieces of you, they may think they've completed the puzzle, but what they don't realize is that that puzzle, is just one piece of the bigger puzzle called you.

Think about it. Who are you at work? Now, who are you at home? Who are you at school? Who are you to your parents? Who are you to your friends?

We change masks depending on who we are around, some masks hide our insecurities, other masks show our insecurities but hide how we deal with them.

I think it's sad. It's sad that I'm aware that no one truly knows me, but I'm too afraid to put down my mask. I don't know what I'm afraid of. I feel like we as humans deal with loss and trauma and negativity and when that happens we cope and we cope in many ways.

I wonder who else wears a mask, and is aware of it. To say that you are completely yourself and transparent with every single individual you have ever encountered is a lie. If you are still not convinced that you wear a mask, who are you on an interview? Is it the same person you are when you are hanging with the "bros"? What about the person you are when you're with your grandparents? Is that the same person you are when meeting a stranger?

We conform to the situations around us- and that's OK. It just bothers me that I feel as if I don't actually know the true "someone," I feel as if there isn't one person who I've completely seen without a mask on, yes in certain aspect they have let their mask down, but never completely. The same goes for me. Certain individuals have seen a lot to the true person I am deep down, but they still haven't seen everything.

No one but you has been there for every experience that has shaped you into the individual you are. But this doesn't mean we should always wear our "masks," let other people see you for who you are, in every aspect good or bad.