Ways To Survive Your Transition To College

Learn how in five easy steps.

7
Organization Direct

Transitioning to college is no easy feat. Here's how to survive it, written from the perspective of a third-year student.

1. Create a schedule and stick to it.

Even if you didn't "need" one in high school, or if your mom made your schedule for you, I can almost guarantee that you'll need one in college. There are so many events and things that you need to remember, like when that paper's due or what day free pizza is on campus. It's all important! Write it all down. I suggest getting a cute pocket planner and put a decent amount of effort into making it neat and pretty. If you're not into that, save it on your phone or get a calendar. Do whatever it takes to make sure that everything is accounted for. Even if you think you'll remember, you might forget, and that possibility is worse than taking thirty seconds to write it down; trust me on that one.

2. Try new things.

College is a great place to embrace your inner "you" and explore new possibilities. Most college campuses put a great deal of effort into creating events and activities that will be fun for students. You probably pay something along the lines of a student activity fee, and these programs are what that money goes to! If you're not that into big events on campus, consider joining a club or intramural sport. If it's something you're interested in, it means everyone else that attends those things has the same interest, and you'll have the opportunity to make some friends!

3. Get to know your professors.

Getting to know your professors is not only polite and courteous, but it's a good suggestion for anyone in college. Knowing your professor gets you brownie points, for sure, but it's also a really cool opportunity to find out more about your field of work. For example, an education professor probably has a highly extensive background in the field of child guidance and teaching, which means: advice, cool stories, and connections. That's right. Connections in the professional world mean everything, and it starts with knowing your professors. If you get to know them, they'll get to know you, and may even help you out in the future. Remember that.

4. Call your parents.

Chances are, your parents have been in your position at some point. Whether or not they went to college, they were all eighteen years old. This means they know what you're going through. So don't be stubborn, call your parents! They can help you.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

If your parents can't help, chances are there are many people in and around your campus that you can use as a resource. Your roommate, your RA, your professors, career counselors, and many, many others exist to help you navigate your life, past, present, and future. It all starts with you and your choices, but if you create opportunities and act on them, you will find the help you need. Put people in your life that want to see you succeed and you will do well.

Good luck to all the transitioning college students out there!