14 Things To Do Before You Start Your College Career

Honey, I'm here and this is really what you need to be doing to prepare.

58
Molly Joiner

I know you've read a million articles and heard a thousand lectures from your high school teachers about submitting applications and applying for scholarships, and that is all immensely important. I mean seriously, those things are a must, but I'm here to give you some practical tips for adapting to life here, in general. So, here's another dang list for you to skim through, enjoy.

1. Improve your stamina.

If there's one thing you are not prepared for, it's walking to class. No, seriously, whether you're fit or not, you gotta get it together because you have ten minutes to do like seven thousand flights of stairs and a mile with a backpack loaded down and a sea of people to swim through.

2. Invest in a laptop.

Find a laptop that's reliable. Mac or Windows or whatever, find what works for you. Otherwise, you'll be at the mercy of the computer labs on campus, and let me just tell you they are sketchy and it makes procrastination kind of hard.

3. You need chapstick and headphones.

You're outside so much. Walking to and from class in all sorts of weather can take its toll on your lips. Be kind, invest in good chapstick. And similarly, you're walking a lot, and I know you've probably seen the movies where you walk to class with your friends, but the fact is eighty percent of college is walking or sitting in hallways silently, alone, with headphones jammed in your ears.

4. Learn to say "No."

When there are SGA elections and it seems like every concourse is packed with screaming sorority sisters trying to force-feed you candy, it's OK to say 'no' and keep walking.

5. Explore all your housing options.

Contrary to popular belief, there's more to college than just dorms.

6. Bring clothes for every type of weather.

The weather is always one mood swing away from ruining your life. You need at least one or two outfits for all types of weather.

7. Invest in a good backpack.

One that doesn't hurt your shoulders when it's loaded down. Also, it needs to be functional. Those teeny tiny purse-like backpacks are not going to hold that anthology you need for English Lit.

8. Get rain gear.

If you have two classes back to back in the same building, count your blessings. But, even so, there's no way you are parking anywhere near that building. You are outside so so much. Please make your life easier. Buy the rain jacket.

9. Mentally prepare yourself for the highs and lows.

Some days you may feel like crying, and sometimes you may want to have a dance party. this is college life, and it's an emotional rollercoaster.

10. Accept the fact that you are now an adult.

You are responsible for every aspect of your life now. No one is going to make sure you wake up on time. Your professors aren't going to call your parents when you skip class. Get it together, this is your life now.

11. Find a major-related club.

Clubs are important links to other people in your major or desired field. You can make connections here that could potentially change the course of your college career and beyond.

12. Get a planner.

Planners, colored pens, sticky notes, etc. Organizational office supplies are invaluable. Plus colors are so fun.

13. Make at least one friend in each class.

They will be your lifeline. If you miss class, odds are they didn't and they can keep you in the loop. They're great for brainstorming on assignments as well, and sometimes, your casual friend from class can turn into a lifelong bond.

14. Find something to do completely unrelated to school.

Find a job or a hobby unrelated to school. This is invaluable. The college will consume your life, and it is so important to give yourself an outlet.