7 Small Ways To Make Big Environmental Changes

It can be hard to believe you can make a difference sometimes. When it comes to the environment, it's even harder. We assume we can't do much - we don't have the money, the education, the accessibility. This isn't true. There are things we do daily that negatively affect the environment more than we think, and limiting this alone can help tremendously, especially if you spread the word to your friends.

Here are some things you can add to your life that are a bit more eco-friendly.

1. Switch over to a bamboo toothbrush.

www.maxpixel.net

Sometimes we don't realize something like a toothbrush, but they are something made out of plastic usually when they don't have to be. Not only do they compose faster, but often times they are made out of charcoal bristles which naturally whitens your teeth!

2. Drop plastic bags and use reusable bags.

upload.wikimedia.org

Plastic bags are often something we use too much of. Next time you go food shopping, try bringing reusable bags instead. Some stores may even offer you a discount. You can get fun with it and buy a matching set!

3. Use metal straws instead of plastic.

live.staticflickr.com

This is one of the most well known environmentally friendly changes, but it does make a difference. One metal straw is equivalent to 540 plastic straws. You can put them in a container or pouch and take them with you anywhere! Obviously, sometimes you'll be putting them in a plastic cup. This doesn't mean you're not making a difference, or that it's cancelling out. Any time you would normally use a plastic straw - like a restaurant for example -and you use a metal straw instead, you've contributed. Some packs of metal straws come with a cleaner too!

4. Invest in a reusable cup instead of water bottles.

David Svihovec

We waste so much plastic when we go to our daily coffee shop and get their plastic cups, or when we drink out of water bottles every day. Sometimes, you have no choice. But you can help limit that usage by switching to reusable cups. Get into the habit of bringing it with you! Some stores may even offer you a little discount when you use your own cup instead!

5. Use a drinking filter.

images.pexels.com

When you need water for your reusable cups, try from the sink! Getting a water filter limits the amount of tubes or bottles of water you buy.

6. Sell or donate clothes.

cdn.pixabay.com

Sometimes we forget that it isn't just trash that is polluting our lands or beaches, but also clothes! If you have clothes that are still good, sell or donate them! If they are a little bit up, try cutting them and recycling them as rags!

7. Stop buying batteries - get rechargeable ones.

Battery Energy Charging Supply Means Source

www.maxpixel.net

Batteries are obviously made up of chemicals, and using them and throwing them out is never good for landfills. If you switch to rechargeable batteries, you help the environment and your bank account all in one!

They are so many small changes you can make daily. You can't do everything, but if everyone invest a bit more in the present, we can help lead us to a healthier future. Look how easy it is to make a difference.