How To Make Nasty Fall Allergies More Bearable

8 Ways To Make Nasty Fall Allergies More Bearable

While my friends are out doing their own photo shoot with the leaves and making plans to go apple picking, I'm obviously stuck inside trying to hide from the pollen.

kru
kru
49

Fall is here. That means pumpkins, Halloween, colorful leaves, haunted houses, apple picking, and... POLLEN ALLERGIES!! Don't worry, I understand your feelings right now. While my friends are out doing their own photo shoot with the leaves and making plans to go apple picking, I'm obviously stuck inside trying to hide from the pollen. Having pollen allergies is so annoying and I honestly cannot complain enough. Here are a few things to help you out this allergy season:

1. Check pollen levels

Make this a part of your daily morning routine. Knowing the level for the day, and even specifically, for each hour, will help you better plan out your day. When the pollen level high, try not to leave indoors. If you have plans with your friends, ask them to come over instead. Or if you work, try to work from home.

2. Make the dehumidifier your best friend

Moisture is one of the biggest triggers of allergies. Using a dehumidifier will make your house less welcoming for dust mites, mold, and mildew. The air will be a lot better to breathe in. One suggestion is to keep the dehumidifier on during the night as you sleep. That way hopefully you can rest all night without having to wake up.

3. Remember to take your medications on time

Allergy relieve medications can help you a lot during this time. But you have to make sure you take them as directed, and that means taking them on time and not taking too many. Some of the allergy medications you might want to try are Allegra, Zyrtec, and Claritin. All medications work differently on different people, so find the one that is effective for you in the best way.

4. Wash your hands and face everytime you come back inside

You might think that once you're indoors, you are safe. NOPE. Pollen sticks to your clothes, your body, and your hair. So always remember to wash your face and hands when you back indoors. Also, if possible, try to take a hot shower at night. You will get rid of most of the pollen on your body and the steam will help open up your stuffy nose.

5. Keep your windows closed and A.C. on

The fall weather is beautiful, I know. We all wanna sit by the open window and feel the breeze while sipping on some pumpkin spice latte. But the beautiful breeze will carry pollen into your home and trigger your allergies. I know it will be hard, but try to keep your windows closed and A.C. on. You will get better relief that way.

6. Tissues are your travel buddy

It doesn't matter where you are going. You can be moving from your bedroom to your living room or going from home to school, you should keep tissues with you. You never where and when your allergies are going to be triggered, so you should be prepared. Try to use facial tissues over paper napkins to prevent dry skin around your nose.

7. Drink a lot of water

Honestly, when does water not help with something? Drinking water can help you calm your allergies down since dehydration triggers them. Also, the water can help thin out the mucus stuck in your nose and around your throat. Set reminders on your phone if you can't remember, but drinking water will seriously help out.

8. Warm beverages are the key

Along with water, try to drink some warm beverages such as tea. These drinks can be soothing for the throat and help with the sinus. You can add peppermint or eucalyptus to your tea as they can help clear your nasal passages. Another, infusion you can make is adding honey to your tea. Honey helps fight the allergens.