The 11 Best Ways To Stay Awake During A Long Drive

Blast "Burnin' Up" by the Jonas Brothers as loud as you possibly can.

362
theplunge.com

If you’ve ever taken a long road trip in a car, you probably agree that it can get extremely boring sitting in the same seat for hours without stopping. As someone who has driven back and forth from New Jersey to Maine (roughly 8 hours) and back many times since I’ve been in college, I have figured out the best ways to help keep me alert and awake throughout the car ride.

Here are a few tips that I have compiled to help you stay awake!

1. Create a music playlist or CD that you know the words to and blast the music.

2. Listen to an audio book from an author you enjoy or a podcast that makes you laugh.

3. Have the windows open so you can get some fresh air once in a while.

4. Enjoy easy-to-eat snacks like peanuts or granola bars.

5. Avoid driving too early in the morning or too late at night; all you’ll want to do is sleep.

6. Try to stop a few times along the way to your destination so that you can stretch your body.

7. Keep the car’s temperature a bit lower than what you’re used to, the cold with jolt your body awake.

8. Chew gum! It’ll stop impending yawning and gives your body something to focus on.

9. Try not to eat a huge meal before driving; you’ll fall into a food coma.

10. Play games like the License Plate game (finding as many different license plates as you can) or Alphabet game (finding every letter of the alphabet on road signs, license plates, buildings, etc.) along the way.

11. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes.