5 Ways to Prepare For Your First Eurotrip

Going to Europe? Check out these five pieces of advice

121
Joe deSousa

When I left my home state of California and backpacked through Europe for the first time in 2015, I honestly had no idea what to expect. I had traveled before, but it had always been more contained - family trips, group trips or stays with a host family. This time, my friend and I were just going, by ourselves, for two months.

Over the course of the next eight weeks, we visited nine countries and more than 30 cities, almost missed 8 flights/trains, actually missed zero flights/trains, and came back with countless stories.

Since then, I’ve been back twice, with a fourth trip planned later this month, at the time of writing. Read on for five specific pieces of advice that I wish I had known the first time I went.

1. Hostels aren’t scary.

It’s a common misconception that hostels are dirty and filled with weirdos who will bother you while you’re sleeping or take your stuff. However, more often than not, hostels are filled with other broke travelers your age. If you’re traveling by yourself, hostels are the best way to meet people. Some hostels are more social, and some are more laid-back. Research the hostel online beforehand to make sure it’s the kind of environment you want.

2. Bring a lock.

Although people in hostels will be chill most of the time, they’re still strangers, so it’s still a really good idea to put your valuables in a safe place. Most hostel rooms will provide a locker in the room for you. Bring a combination lock you can lock your stuff up with. Some hostels will also provide a lock with a deposit that you will get back if you don’t lose it.

3. Print out all your boarding passes and accommodation information before you leave (or have them downloaded and easily accessible on your phone).

Be prepared! I once showed up at a hostel 24 hours late because of the time difference, and there was a language barrier, so nobody understood what had happened until I showed them my printed out confirmation, and then we were able to sort it out. The first time I went to Europe, I printed out all my accommodations in a folder and carried it around with me in my backpack. Now I just download everything to my phone and save it.

4. Learn some words in the language of where you’re going.

Knowing a few keywords or phrases in the language of every country you go to helps a lot. I recommend learning how to say “I don’t speak (language) very well” in every language, to start your conversations off with, and other important phrases like “hello,” “thank you,” “how much does this cost,” and “where is the bathroom.” As long as you can say those things and smile and nod, you’ve basically got it covered. Use the app Duolingo or practice with a friend who speaks the language before you go.

5. Set a budget.

I’ll let you in on a little secret: traveling doesn’t have to be expensive. No, really. If you have a job, with a lot of saving and a little effort and planning, you can travel, too. One very important factor in making this possible is setting a budget - and sticking to it. I recommend budgeting $40 a day for Europe (not including accommodation). If you are staying in a hostel, you should never pay more than $25 a night for your bed, maximum! Unless of course, you get a private room, in which case you might as well just stay at a hotel.

Keep track of everything you spend every day - train tickets, food, souvenirs, etc. Respect your budget and use it wisely. If you’ll be somewhere for more than a day, buy groceries to last you for the whole time you’ll be there to save you money on food and leave you more money for fun stuff.

Have you been to Europe? Do you have a favorite tip I’ve missed? Let me know in the comments!